Saturday, October 10, 2009

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris


Well this is going to be a rather short review since I'm pretty sure that everything about this book has been said already.

What I will say is that I loved the book and I'm kicking myself for not reading it sooner. Unlike most people I have never seen the TV show that is based off these books so I was not familiar with Sookie and Bill. I found them both to be three dimensional, well rounded characters that engaged my interest from the beginning. Now I feel obliged to not only read the rest of the books in the series but to pick up the first season on DVD and get myself caught up on all the action.

Synopsis From Back Cover:

Sookie Stackhouse is a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. She's quiet, keeps to herself, and doesn't get out much. Not because she's not pretty. She is. It's just that, well, Sookie has this sort of "disability." She can read minds. And that doesn't make her too dateable. And then along comes Bill. He's tall, dark, handsome-and Sookie can't hear a word he's thinking. he's exactly the type of guy she's been waiting for all her life....

But Bill has a disability of his own: He's a vampire with a bad reputation. he hands with a seriously creepy crowd, all suspected of-big surprise-murder. And when one of Sookie's coworkers is killed, she fears she's next...

13 comments:

Literary Feline said...

I am glad to hear you enjoyed Dead Until Dark, Ryan. This is one of my favorite series. I've been watching the TV show which is really good too, but also very different (more dark and way more graphic). I hope you continue to enjoy the series!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Okay, I'm not much into vampire stuff, but I do recall enjoying "Dark Shadows," way back in the day! LOL. So this one might be worth checking out.

Rich Mom, Rich Dad. Poor Mom, Poor Dad. said...

Yessssssssss!!!! I LOVE the Sookie Stackhouse/Southern Vampire Series.

I also LOVE True Blood. Warning, Season one is based off of Dead After Dark, and Season Two is based off of Living Dead in Dallas. They don't follow the books but it doesn't take away from how much fun the shows are.

I watch them online. Save your money, I watch them here: http://www.yidio.com/show/true-blood
Just fair warning, when you click to view the videos something else will pop up but just close it and you will be good. I watched both seasons following the different links on Yidio and have never received any type of Virus, tracking cookies, spyware or anything.

Ceri said...

Glad to hear you liked it - Though I've yet to pick up this series too. Think it's my natural instinct to reject everything the majority likes. haha. Watched the pilot to True Blood and haven't watched any other episodes since.

bookmagic said...

I am so glad you liked it!! I found that it got a bit confusing watching the series and reading the books. Once you start book three, then watch the series as there is no overlap

Logan said...

Thanks for the review, even if it was short. I have never even picked up this book to look at the back cover synopsis so you've given me my first inside look at it...

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Well Ryan, don't feel like you are the last one or the only one. I have never seen the series on tv either, and I have not read the books yet. I keep saying I am going to pick them up but I have so many other books to read I have not made it to get them and read them yet.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed it very much. It makes me feel better that I will enjoy them when I am able to get to them.

A Buckeye Girl Reads said...

I loved your short review. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who hasn't watched True Blood yet. You made it farther into the book then I did. I only made about halfway through before giving up.

Alexia561 said...

Add me to the group who has never seen the TV version. I read the first few books in the series, then stopped. Not sure if it was the characters or just vampire burn-out, but maybe it's time for me to pick them back up.

Enjoyed your short but good review!

Ladytink_534 said...

The fourth and the current book are my favorites in this series. Hope you enjoy them!

Anonymous said...

Just bought it yesterday. I hope I feel the same way about it as you do.

ibeeeg said...

I really enjoyed this series. I have yet to watch True Blood. A bit nervous to do so because I am not certain I will like some of the creative changes that have made for which I have heard about. One day though, I will give True Blook a watch.
I hope you continue to enjoy this series. It is rather fun to read.

Michelle said...

You won't be sorry for picking up the DVD. True Blood is a fabulous show to watch and now that you've read the first book you won't be spoiled on anything you see! You might want to do a bit of the second book before you watch too just so that you don't get very small elements spoiled there as well.

I've finished book two (have to write my review though) so I hope to get to book three soon.