Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Agatha Christie Challenge --- The Secret of Chimneys


Well I finished my latest book in the challenge last night and I'm still loving what I read. The Secret of Chimneys is now among my favorite Agatha Christie books.

There is a new super couple in the Christie world for me. The characters of Anthony Cade and Virginia Revel are so great together. The chemistry they have is amazing and makes me think that Agatha was very much in love at one point in her life. Anthony is that rugged, good looking adventurer we all wish we could meet. Virginia is that witty, fearless woman that you can't help but admire and adore. Together they are perfection and I really hope (though won't hold my breath) for another appearance from them.

The basic storyline, actually there is no basic storyline, this is one of the most convoluted story lines to date and I loved every moment of it.

You take everything you want in a mystery story and throw it all together into one beautiful mix. Royals in disguise, murder, memoirs, jewel thief's, secret identities, humongous mansions with secret rooms, codes, and I could go on and on but this book has it all. And it works together. From a lesser author this would not have worked, but under Agatha Christie's skill is all blends perfectly.

Synopsis From Back Cover:

A bit of adventure and quick cash is all that good-natured drifter Anthony Cade is looking for when he accepts a messenger job from an old friend. It sounds so simple: deliver the provocative memoirs of a recently deceased European count to a London publisher. But the parcel holds more than scandalous royal secrets. It contains a stash of letters that suggest blackmail-and leads to the murder of a stranger who's been shadowing Anthony's every more. Discovering the dead man's identity means retracing his steps-to the rambling estate of Chimneys where darker secrets, and deadlier threats, await anyone who dares to enter.

8 comments:

Krista said...

This is one I'll definitely be adding to the top of my Mystery list! I'm so glad you enjoyed it as much as you did and it makes me want to read it even more now! Great review :)

Is it safe to say that your Agatha Challenge is going well, then? I hope so! :)

All the best, Ryan!

The Cozy Mystery Journal said...

I love the spin you've put on this one. I think Agatha was very much in love at one point, and the romantic in me thinnks that was part of her mysterious "disappearance".

Peter S. said...

Hi, Ryan! I love Agatha Christie, although I haven't read this one yet. Thanks for posting your thoughts about it! This goes to my wish list.

basson_mommy12 said...

Have you done any audiobooks in your Christie challenge. I find the Hercule Poirot stories especially satisfying since most are read by Hugh Fraser of Mystery! fame. He does the french so nicely, I don't have to work too hard trying to pronounce it in my head.

The reason I mention it is I am reading "And Then There Were None" via audiobook. I also read "The Secret of Chimneys" in this manner.

-- Ruth

Ryan said...

Krista, Thanks for the encouragment I'm needing it when I think how many more I have to read.

Bella, I think romance was behind her dissaperance as well.

Peter, When you get a chance to read it let me know what you think of it.

Ruth, I haven't done any in audiobook yet but I keep hearing that there are some really good ones out there.

Krista said...

You're welcome and I think you will do wonderful! Just take you time and savor it...:)

Heidenkind said...

Christie is definitely a great writer. I haven't even heard of this one, but it sounds good.

Kerrie said...

Ryan - can you submit this to the Agatha Christie Blog Carnival for November please? Here is the link