Tuesday, October 13, 2009

10 of My Favorite Halloween Candies (From 5th Grade)


I have no idea why I'm doing this post other than the fact that trick-or-treating is on my brain right now. My son and I are trying to figure out what he is going to be for Halloween. Now naturally the candy receptacle depends on what his costume is. Then that brought my brain to the last time I remember candy collecting. 5th grade is really the last time I remember going, I was a mummy. So with no further ado, I present my favorite treats from that year.



How can it get better than mini KitKats?



Mini Butterfingers come in a close second.



These guys are the whole reason I love malts. The strawberry ones are just as good.



There was one house that gave these out every year. This was the coolest candy to be found in the neighborhood.



A Halloween staple that never gets old.



Crunchy goodness that brings a tingle to your mouth.



Another one of those treats that was a speciality of one particular house. This was the only house my mom would let me keep the homemade goodies from.



The rootbeer DumDums were the only ones I loved as a kid, and the only ones I will eat now.


One of the most common Halloween goodies and still one of my favorites.


Kind of like Smarties but even better were Sweet Tarts. I still eat most of what my son brings home.

14 comments:

J.T. Oldfield said...

I am one of those people who just can't stand candy corn. Weird, but true.

Zia said...

Pop rocks were some of my favorite!

bookmagic said...

never had pet rat before, or even seen it!
I like smarties but was always disappointed to get them in my candy bag. I wanted the good stuff,chocolate. Candy corn makes my teeth cry

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Smarties are on the top of my list. I even still snag them from my sons bag when we get back.

It is funny you mention that 5th grade was you last outting. It must be the age. My son is currently in 5th grade and he is pondering on if he wants to go or not this year. I told him he can do as he wishes, but he has to let me know if he wants to go so we can get him a costume.

Me, I went till I was in high school. That was when dressing up was more fun and we would try to hit as many houses as possible. lol that was fun!

Literary Feline said...

I can't remember when I last went trick-or-treating or what I was, for that matter. How sad is that? I'll have to ask my mother. I've always been a big fan of milk duds and kit kats. :-) My parents give out pencils nowadays. They figure kids get enough candy from all the other neighbors. I told them that wasn't any fun. LOL

Cecelia said...

I know what you mean about particular houses having particular goodies...there was one with the popcorn balls and another that did small caramel apples (we were always HUGE fans of that house). I haven't been trick-or-treating in YEARS, though...since 6th grade, probably. Have fun with costumes and candy gathering!

Anonymous said...

I found someone who admits to liking candy corn!

Sheila (bookjourney) said...

POP ROCKS! One of the classics! :)

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Ooh, Kit Kats get my vote! I always stock up on these mini-chocolate treats, and others of the same type...and then if there are leftovers, well, you can guess what will happen!

La Coccinelle said...

Mmmm... candy corn.

The one candy I remember liking was Wagon Wheels. I'm not sure that really counts as a candy, but I loved finding one of those in my treat bag.

Ceri said...

Your Smarties are very different to our Smarties. All those look really yummy. I get the feeling that when I visit the US and walk into a supermarket with the intention of trying every bit of American food I've heard of, I'm going to gain my body weight in sugar and fat! haha

The Cozy Mystery Journal said...

Yay for candy. The thing I love about moving to Canada is that I've gotten to try all this new candy they don't have in Australia. Like Reese PB Cups & 3 Muskateer Bars. Yum!!

Anonymous said...

I hate pop rocks, love candy corn. One of the good things about having a kid is I can sneak candy out of her stash without her noticing.

Krista said...

CANDY! MUST HAVE CANDY :) OMG, I LOVE candy! Oh, and did I mention I LOVE candy?