Monday, October 5, 2009

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong


I have been a big fan of Kelley Armstrong's writing since I first read Bitten over 5 years ago. She was pretty much the first Urban Fantasy/Paranormal author I read and I have been hooked every since. So when I discovered her first YA book I always meant to grab it but for some reason never did.

I finally picked it up a a few weeks ago, started reading it two days ago, and finished it last night. I'm so glad I finally got around to reading it. While it's not as strong as her adult Women of the Otherworld books this YA series is a nice addition to the universe and I'm looking forward to the rest of it.

The main character is a teenage girl named Chloe and while I don't connect with her the way I do with Elena or Paige, I still found her a strong, independent young lady dealing with changes in her life she never dreamed of. How can anyone be expected to deal with seeing ghosts, raising the dead, finding new "supernatural" friends, and being betrayed by those closest to you? Somehow she manages to do it with strength that is admirable. I can't wait to read the 2nd and 3rd books to see what happens next.

Synopsis From Back Cover:

She sees dead people--and they see her.

Chloe Saunders used to have a pretty normal life. But that changed on the day she met her first ghost. Locked up in Lyle House, a group home for troubled teens, she finds our that there's more to the home's teen residents than meets the eye. Will Chloe be able to uncover the dangerous secrets of Lyle House...or will it's skeletons come back to haunt her?

11 comments:

Jessica said...

It's going to be a long wait for book number 3. I really enjoyed the first two, so I hope the third is worth waiting for. :)

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

I have seen this book and it does look very good. I think I am just going to add the author to my list instead of just the book. I have heard many great things of her adult books. How many books is that, when I just add the author? lol. I am so in trouble with this list. hmmmm. I am in the beginning of October. Maybe I should write out some books that I want to read but can wait for so that my family can find it and hope they buy them for me for Christmas.

Anonymous said...

I don't read much YA yet. I tend to be disappointed in them. I read a lot of middle school fiction, though, so as my daughter gets older I'll probably pick up the books she leaves lying around.

Ryan said...

Jen, I almost picked up the second one today but I ended up buying 4 others for $2.50

Melissa, Start with Bitten and Stolen, the first two books in the Women of the Otherworld series.

Carol, I find I like the YA books of a already established "adult" author.

Krista said...

I was thinking about getting this one and now I have to for sure! Another great review, Ryan! Yeah, like Mel I have a list going for christmas LOL! OH, no, not Christmas! LOL!

Ryan said...

Krista, It's only a little over 2 months away.

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

Sadly, I have only read Bitten =( I really must catch up! This one sounds good too.

Ladytink_534 said...

I liked this alot. Had a big problem with the ending though it made me buy the sequel the week it came out.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Yes Krista. Just the thought of all the craziness with Christmas, and that four letter word goes with it here...*whispering* snow.

I kind of hope we get lots of it this year. I would like my kid to see a big snow and play like I did at his age.

The Cozy Mystery Journal said...

I'm SO behind on commenting on blogs :) I loved Bitten, and everyone says I must give this series a go too. Definitely in my wishlist somewhere.

Great review Ryan.

Tracy Letts said...

I am so glad you are a fan of Kelley Armstrong too! And, that you are caught up with the Bitten series, as I am. I really liked The Summoning, and have also read The Awakening and loved it too. I think she has made a good start in this YA series. I didn't like how she left the end hanging, she usually wraps it up pretty good in the Bitten books, but I really liked the male character, who seems so brusque, I wish Chloe could see him how he sees her. I like how you don't spoil the plots in your reviews! Blog me when you read the Awakening, I would be interested in your opinion!