Monday, October 26, 2009

Mailbox Monday for 10/26/2009


Mailbox Monday is a weekly meme hosted by Marcia at The Printed Page.

Last week was a slower week for me as far as new acquisitions go. I didn't get any review or contest books is but as usual I did end up buying a few.

I finally got around to buying Foundation by Mercedes Lackey in paperback. I picked it up from Barnes & Noble in paperback when I stopped in there to get a cup of African Autumn tea.

I stopped into a small independent bookstore called Watermark Books on the spur of the moment while I was driving by. I went in to ask if they had a certain book and the sales associate was so good she had me buying a completely different book. I picked up The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart. Which seems to be the first book in a series meant for middle schoolers but is 485 pages long.

I picked up the hardback of The Art Thief by Noah Charney at the Friends of the Library Bookstore for $1.50.

I don't go into Best Buy that often anymore but on another whim I decided to go and picked up the DVD set of Ghostbusters 1 & 2 for $6.99 and the new CD by Michael Buble Crazy Love.

8 comments:

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

Ryan, it's so funny how we seem to have the same taste in things. yeah!
I absolutely loved the Mysterious Benedict Society. It is a really fun series for readers of all ages. I have read the first two.

Ghostbusters rocks! It's my husbands favorite movie and we own them and rewatch them.

And Michael Buble, ahhh... Michael. Seen him in concert and he is fantastic! And cute!

Enjoy your finds!

Take care,
Michelle

Anonymous said...

I need to read something by Lackey sometime.I have The Art Thief, but haven't gotten around to it yet.I checked out the Benedict Society once, but the length of it intimidated my daughter.

Ghostbusters gave me nightmares as a kid. Silly, I know, but I'll never watch it again.

Karen Murphy said...

The Mysterious Benedict Society was a great read-aloud (to qualify, they must also engage the parent-reader) to my 4, 8 and 12, and I would absolutely read the subsequent installments.

Along similar lines, but not as lengthy: The Neddiad (clever, fun) and The Invention of Hugo Cabret (where much of the story is without words, in the illustrations).

Ryan said...

Michelle, I haven't seen the Ghostbuster movies in years so when I saw the box set on sale I had to get it. I agree with everything you said about Michael Buble. I saw him in concert last year and it was so much fun. It seems the Mysterious Bendict Society is a popular choice so I can't wait to read this with my son.

Carol, The Stay Puff Marshmallow man is a little creepy.

Karen, Thank you for mentioning those other two choices. I will have to check them out.

Krista said...

How was that African Autumn tea? Sounds yummy, never had it, though.

That's so funny you ended up buying a completely different book, haha. I hope you enjoy it!

I, too, love The Ghostbusters :) It's so funny and fun to watch :)

Looks as though you got a bunch of good stuff! Happy reading, watching, and listening to you! :)

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

These look like a great selection! Happy reading!

Zia said...

I loved Ghostbusters as a kid!

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

Love Ghostbusters!!!