Wednesday, October 14, 2009

In Memory of Captain Lou Albano


One of the icons of my childhood passed away today and I just wanted to post a quick memorial to him.

Captain Lou Albano was a face I grew up with watching professional wrestling, back in the days when it was fun. He was one of the good guys and always a lot of fun to watch. Whether it was in the ring or ringside managing other wrestlers he was a professional.

That and you have to love a guy who started in a Cyndi Lauper video "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" and a Saturday morning cartoon "Hulk Hugan's Rock 'n' Wrestling". I loved the cartoon and even without the other references Captain Lou would stay in my mind for that reason alone.

3 comments:

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Gumbands! or Rubberbands! I loved him. He went well with the rest of the crew. My favorite was the scottish wrestler. Oh, the whole crew of them were great. The wrestling now will never compare to what we watched growing up.

My husband and I were just talking about wrestling when we were younger. (my son watches it now) And the cartoon of Hulk Hogan's. That was great stuff!

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

I have never followed wrestling (at least to actually watch), although I do like Hulk Hogan and The Rock (and Andre the Giant, of course!). But I do remember him from Cyndi Lauper's video...such a fun video! So sad that he has passed. May he rest in peace.

Oh, and Melissa mentioned the Scottish wrestler...Rowdy Roddy Piper. I liked him too!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Wow, THAT'S a blast from the past! My sister and I used to watch wrestling back when the "classic" wrestlers were big: Jake the Snake, the Iron Sheik, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Hacksaw Jim Duggan ... and so many more. I definitely remember Captain Lou! He'll be missed.