Saturday, September 19, 2009

Working Girl


This little gem came out in 1988 and boy does the hair scream that from the rooftops! You can't tell from the DVD cover but Melanie's hair for the first half of the movie is typical Jersey Girl, teased bangs up to the sky and the sides stick out so far she could give Dumbo a run for his money.

This is one of my favorite movies from the 80's and I watch it more than I should. These were the days when Harrison Ford was still sexy, Melanie Griffith was the sweet "It" girl, and Sigourney Weaver was at the top of her game.

From The Back Cover:

Nominated for 6 Academy Awards, director Mike Nichol's witty, romantic look at life int he corporate jungle stars MELANIE GRIFFITH as Tess McGill, an ambitious secretary with a unique approach for climbing the ladder to success. When her classy, but villainess boss (SIGOURNEY WEAVER) breaks her leg skiing , Tess simply takes over her office, her apartment, even her wardrobe. She then creates a deal with a handsome investment banker (HARRISON FORD) that will either taker her straight to he top-or finish her off for good.

Now what that synopsis doesn't tell you is that Tess is just getting paybacks on her boss. Sigourney deserves everything she gets in this movie and it's so much fun to watch.

From crashing weddings to holding meetings Tess does everything she can to close the deal and get the man.

17 comments:

Trisha said...

I adore this movie! It has been so long since I've even thought about it. Thank you for reminding me of it.

Ryan said...

Trisha, I can never get enough of this one. I'm so glad you like it!

bookmagic said...

Oh god, the clothes, the hair!!! Look how young Harrison looks, yummy!

Ryan said...

Deb, LOL!

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

I loved this movie! The whole women's lib vibe and how Tess really shows that she has what it takes. Also, have to mention the theme song...love Carly Simon!

Ryan said...

Michelle, I'm so glad that I'm not the only fan of this movie. I don't feel so along anymore :-)

Ceri said...

Oh, I remember this - I saw it for the first time a couple of years ago. I'll watch anything with Harrison Ford (that man gets better with age). This film's so sweet and funny. :-D And Sigourney's just kick-ass.

Anonymous said...

Circa - pre-enhanced Melanie Griffith and when Alec Baldwin was cute.

Beth (BBRB) said...

OMG! I loved this movie! I must Netflix it! Thanks for another great movie post!

Ryan said...

Ceri, It's one of my favorites. Sigourney kicks ass in every movie she is in.

Stephanie, Alec hasn't been cute for a while :-)

Beth, Have fun and eat some popcorn!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Hey Ryan. This is a great movie. I love the big hair too. I really enjoy her drive to get the job done, then when she finally meets the man...wow! I do have to say I love Harrison Ford as an actor as well. He is one of the many favorite actors I have.

Ryan said...

Melissa, It's always nice to know when I have favorites in common with others.

Krista said...

Ha, I haven't seen this one either! Can you believe that I'm a movie fan? LOL! I guess I haven't seen as many of the older movies that should definitely be watched! As always, great post!

Ryan said...

Krista, The 80's are not that old you lady, you are starting to make me feel ancient :-)

Gregory @ Teens Read and Write said...

Okay, haven't seen this one but my mom said it was a lot of fun and she loved it.

We like to get older movies that we weren't around for or were too young for. We get them for a buck at the video store and have these great movie marathons. We'll get this one in our next batch!

We're big Harrison Ford and Sigourney Weaver fans. I can't look to long a Melanie Griffith. Her new lips freak me out!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Well, I read the posts here from Krista and Gregory and I start to feel....old*whispering*. Ryan I think we are all starting to date ourselves. And I don't think I am that old! lol. Oh well, with age comes wisdom, right?!? I hope so. With all these young pups around anyway...

lol! They just don't know what kind of decade they missed in the '80's. It was the best and nothing can compare to it. Kind of like my parents telling me about the '60's. ha ha. Now I know I am getting old. lol!

Ryan said...

Gregory, I hope you guys like this on as well. I am in total agreement with Melanie Griffith's lips.

Melissa, I'm feeling it as well kiddo!