Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Favorite Fictional Characters --- Fran Fine


She was working in a bridal shop in Flushing, Queens,'Til her boyfriend kicked her out in one of those crushing scenes.What was she to do? Where was she to go? She was out on her fanny...So over the bridge from Flushing to the Sheffield's door.She was there to sell make-up, but the father saw more. She had style! She had flair! She was there.That's how she became the Nanny!

Who would have guessed that the girl we've described,Was just exactly what the doctor prescribed?Now the father finds her beguiling (watch out C.C.!).And the kids are actually smiling (such joie de vivre!).She's the lady in red when everybody else is wearing tan...The flashy girl from Flushing, the Nanny named Fran!

Doesn't that song alone bring a smile to your face? A big grin from ear to ear that threatens to consume your entire being? Well if not, it should. For 6 years Fran Fine, played by the wonderful Fran Drescher, came into my living room and made me smile in a way only she could. Besides, how can you not love a character devoted to Barbara Streisand?

She was loud, boisterous, flashy, sexy, and charming all in one package. From the moment she walked into the Sheffield's life, magic happened. She brought a new energy and vibrancy to the their lives and they were blessed and happy for it. The children blossomed under her care and tutelage, Maxwell seemed to start enjoying life more, Niles gained a partner in crime, and C.C. learned she had no chance with Maxwell. By the end of the show Fran and Maxwell were married and had children of their own and I couldn't have been happier for them.

I was sad when the show finally ended but I was grateful for the opportunity to watch a brilliantly funny show produced by and starring a great actress and comedian.

11 comments:

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

Fran Drescher is wonderful! I didn't watch this show much myself, but my mom loved it. The Nanny was definitely a character! I wish Fran was in more stuff nowadays.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Her voice alone was enough to make me smile!

Carol said...

That was such a fun show.

The Cozy Mystery Journal said...

Fran was so fun! I love watching the re-runs on tv :)

Ryan said...

Michelle, You should at least catch it on syndication. It's so much fun,

Laurel, Without the voice it wouldn't be the same.

Carol, Tons of fun!

Bella, I catch them as often as I can.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Yeah I remember this one. This is really the only show (including movies) she did that I liked her in. She was a kind of actress that always seemed to get the same parts and they wore out after a while. But this tv series was a great series for her. I didn't get tired of her in this. I was happy when her and Maxwell got married as well. They were so perfect for each other.

Great pick this week!

Ryan said...

Melissa, How could you not like The Beautitican & The Beast? That movie deserved an Oscar.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Oh yes, you got me on that one. I completely forgot about this one when I commented last night. This is a good movie. It had kind of the same feel at her tv series. It worked very well too. I really loved that gown she wore to the party toward the end. Gorgeous.

Beth (BBRB) said...

I have to say that I never really watched the show on a regular basis, but it was fun once in a while.

Alyssa Kirk said...

None of us have seen the show but I've heard her voice. I think I'd rather listen to fingernails on a chalkboard. Does she talk like that in real life!

Ryan said...

Beth, I was an addict.

Alyssa, Yes she does, it's part of her appeal (maybe) :-)