Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Fun Random Questions for BBAW


I'm a sucker for random questions so I can't help myself but answer all of them.

Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
All the time I can't help it. Normally it's stuff like popcorn or chips. Lately it's been a lot more plums, Havarti and salami, Havarti and pears, Havarti and crackers. I'm on a weird Havarti kick right now. I also tend to like cucumbers and radishes with a little ranch dressing.
Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears?Laying the book flat open?
Bookmarks all the way. I used to dog ear when I was younger but I am now out of that stage. Every once in a while I will set the book down open but I try not to do that too much.
Fiction, Non-fiction, or both?
Both, though the non-fiction I read tends to be either about politics or autobiographies.
Hard copy or audio books?
I haven't done a lot of audio books because the only time I would listen to them except in the car and then it's mainly on NPR.
Are you a person who tends to read to the end of chapters, or are you able to put a book down at any point?
Just whenever I'm done reading for the period of time. If their is something really big going on I will try to get to the end of that part, but if I'm too tired I can hold off for a while.
If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop to look it up right away?
Only if I can't figure it out by the context of the passage it's in.
What are you currently reading?
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
What is the last book you bought?
3 of them from the Dollar Tree: A Shadow in Summer by Daniel Abraham, Monster by Frank Peretti, and Manor House: As Seen on Public Television by
Juliet Gardiner.
Are you the type of person that only reads one book at a time or can you read more than one at a time?
I tend to read through multiple books at a time though my main focus is on one.
Do you have a favorite time of day and/or place to read?
Whenever or wherever I can.
Do you prefer series books or stand alone books?
Both. I love series because if I love a certain character/characters I want more of them. Stand alones do a really good job or getting you to care about characters right away.
Is there a specific book or author that you find yourself recommending over and over?
Agatha Christie has to be the one author I push on everyone. A few of the books would be Pandemonium by Daryl Gregory, The Thief of Always by Clive Barker, and The Last Herald Mage trilogy by Mercedes Lackey.
How do you organize your books? (By genre, title, author’s last name, etc.?)
When they are organized I try to do the fiction by author's last name and have the non-fiction sorted by subject in alphabetical order.

13 comments:

Stephanie said...

Very cool answers!! I don't read alot of non-fiction either, but I have a stock-pile of memoirs/political books that I would love to start. One of these days. When someone figures out a way for me to life without sleep!!

Nice blog, by the way. The one thing about BBAW is that I'm adding a whole load of new blogs to the reader!!

Unknown said...

I love Agatha Christie too. Great answers! What's Havarti?

Michelle said...

I love the Havarti kick. That answer had me giggling. You should try it with apples. Apples and cheese are tremendously yummy!

Trisha said...

I'm a big fan of Christie too. I've actually been thinking about re-reading since Christie was in my pre-blog days. I did my quick list in pictures.

Krista said...

Great answers! Fun questions....

bookmagic said...

Your snack answer mnakes me hungry! Dog-earing is NOT a stage, it is a life choice!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Very cool answers. Sounds like you are on a healthy kick, huh?

I have been going around reading everyones post of this. I do have to say I love this.

Cecelia said...

Nice answers. HOW do you keep your pages clean with all that Havarti and salami???

Ryan said...

Stephanie, Thanks for the really nice comments and I'm glad I'm one of those new blogs going into your reader :-)

Carolyn, Agatha is my favorite author and Havarti is my favorite cheese.

Michelle, That's about the only way I can eat an apple. Not a really big fan of them under other conditions.

Trish, I don't think you will regret revisiting her books. They are wonderful.

Krista, Thank You, Thank You.

Deb, Sorry about the hunger pains and as far as the last part of your comment I just have to laugh :-)

Melissa, I wish I was on a healthy kick. I think it's more like a flash in the pan.

Celia, Lots of napkins!

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

I guess if you borrow a book from Ryan and there's a grease spot, you'll know it's from the salami...lol! I didn't answer the snacking one because the only time I eat and read is if I'm dining at a restaurant alone...which is rarely.

Great answers Ryan! I am so very behind on Frankenstein...I'm so ashamed! =(

Ryan said...

Michelle, I am too...so many other things goind on and for some reason it's not exciting me the way I thought it would.

Literary Feline said...

I really enjoy answering questions like these too. It's always interesting to read other people's answers. I sometimes lay a book face down too but not too often. I like to listen to NPR in the car too. I love Agatha Christie. I went through a big Christie phase several years ago and read just about every book of hers I could get my hands on. I've since come into possession of several more of her books that I hope to read eventually. The Last Herald Mage trilogy was what turned me onto fantasy. I had read the genre before, but it wasn't until I met Vanyel that I fell head over heels for fantasy.

Ryan said...

Wendy, Thanks so much for the comments. Vanyel is wonderful character and I'm glad others out there love him as much as I do.