Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Favorite Fictional Character --- Robin Hood (2 of Them)


Well as you can tell from the title of this post I picked Robin Hood as this weeks Favorite Fictional Character. The dilemma for me is that I have two very different and very distinct versions of this character firmly planted in my brain, and I couldn't pick a favorite between them. So here I am blogging about both of them.

As you can tell from the striking pictures, the first version of this character I love is the one played by Errol Flynn; the swashbuckling nobleman who believes in England and will fight for King Richard with his last breath.

I must admit to falling in love with this movie at a very young age. After one viewing of the exploits and adventures portrayed in this movie, I was hooked for life. This version of Robin Hood was everything a little boy could dream of being. Handsome, debonair, noble, leader of men, and knows what is right and what is wrong. A man who will fight for what is good and just. A man who fights on behalf of those who don't have the strength to fight for themselves. A skilled combatant who could use a sword, bow, staff, or his fists to defeat the evil men of King John and the Sheriff of Nottingham. Plus he got the girl on top of that. What was there in this character that wasn't worth idolizing?

The second version of this character that still to this day never fails to enchant me is the wily fox in Disney's adaptation of the Robin Hood legend.

How could a kid not love such a witty, daring character that fights lions, snakes, wolves, and vultures. This was the story I loved told to me in a way that was pure, fun entertainment.

I have passed my love of these movies, I hope, down to my son. Since he is only 6, the wily fox is his favorite but I'm convinced he will grow to love the action and adventure found throughout both movies. I also hope he takes away from both these movies the importance of looking out for those who can't look out for themselves.

17 comments:

Elena said...

When I first think of Robin Hood, my mind goes straight to Cary Elwes from Men In Tights....I think that's a big age-telling sign :P

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Ryan, I love the Robin Hood movies! I hate to admit it but when I think of Robinhood, my mind does wonder to Men in Tights (that one was hilarious!) and I also think of Kevin Costner and the song by Brian Adams - Everything I do I do for you. Loved that song!

I have my fictional character all picked out (as you know Ryan). I am just pondering the idea of doing a post too or just putting it here in your comments. I will see how much time I have tonight when I get home from football to see if I can do a post, if not I will leave a detailed comment here.

Ryan said...

Elena/Melissa, Men in Tights was funny I will agree but it's not iconic to me.

Melissa, I try not to think of Kevin Costner as much as humanly possible :-). I would be really cool if you were to start this feature every week as well. Maybe we could get millions of others doing the same thing :-)

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

I know you avoid Kevin Costner, but thought I would mention it as it popped into my head.

I think I am going to try to do this post also. I will note you on the post and with hope that others will pick up on this too. That would be very COOL! :)

Anonymous said...

I love the Disney's version. I should stop by the library and see if they have it. It would be a great choice for a family movie night.

Cecelia said...

The Disney version of Robin Hood was a favorite of mine growing up...great music, great adventure...and I think my favorite Errol Flynn movie has to be Captain Blood!

Krista said...

Oh, I love Robin Hood too! Both the movie and cartoon are such great movies! Heh, these are actually movies I've seen, that's the first! LOL! As always, awesome FFC!

Ryan said...

Carol, thanks so much for coming by. It's one of my favorites and the first Disney movie I bought for my son to watch.

Celia, thnaks for mentiong Captain Blood. I havnen't though of that one in years. I'm going to have to see if I can get ahold of it.

Krista, I'm so happy that you have seen movies I like!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Ryan, I just wanted to let you know I have an award waiting for you.

http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/

Sheila (bookjourney) said...

Excellent post! I dont think there is a pic of my favorite fictional character as it was never a movie. I shall google though and see..... :)

Ryan said...

Melissa, thank you so much. I loved your choice for Favorite Fictional Character. I'm singing the song as I type.

Sheila, thanks so much for stopping by. I hope you find a pic so we can all know who your favorite fictional character is!

jennifer said...

I used to watch the Errol Flynn flicks with my Uncle when I was kid... I love those movies!

Ryan said...

Jennifer, they were great movies and thanks for coming by!

Anonymous said...

Well, Errol Flynn is wonderful. I actually don't know if I ever saw the Disney version, though.

I guess the person who is most Robin Hood for me would be Richard Greene, as I grew up watching the series starring him.

The most GORGEOUS, though, has to be Michael Praed in the Robin of Sherwood series!!! That is just a wonderful series in general - beautiful photography and settings and great plots. Of course, Praed left the series to join the cast of Dynasty (he wasn't quite as good-looking with his hair cut shorter, but still nice eye candy), and Jason Connery became the next Robin. He was lovely, too, but not as much as Praed.

Dulcinea

Ryan said...

Dulcinea, I had to google Michael Praed and I now undertand what you were talking about.

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

Great post Ryan! I can't wait to do my fav fictional character. Soon...I've got a great one in mind!

Personally, I liked the Robin Hood with Patrick Bergin and Uma Thurman and I really like the BBC series Robin Hood. Also, really looking forward to the new film starring Russell Crowe! And, of course, I love the Disney version. I will always have a place in my heart for all things Disney =)

Angela's Anxious Life said...

Wow... 2009!! You have been blogging for a long time. In this post you said you son was 6. He must be like 10 now. I wonder if he still loves Robin Hood??