Friday, September 11, 2009

Dark Time: Mortal Path by Dakota Banks


I had seen this book around other blogs and thought "I really want to read this". So needless to say when I received an email asking me to read and review it, I jumped at the chance.

I'm so glad I did. This is the first book in a series and I found it to be engaging and fast paced. Maliha Crayne is a woman burned at the stake as a witch and given immortality in exchange for working as an assassin for a demon taken out of Sumerian mythology. Truthfully I'm not sure I wouldn't have jumped at the chance for revenge either. The way this story is told you can easily see yourself making the same deal and becoming someone you don't recognize anymore.

However when she is given a chance to redeem herself and change her life for the better she takes it with the same impulsiveness shown in the original decision. I found her to be both sympathetic and a little dark at the same time. You may not like everything she does but you understand it and ultimately forgive her for it.

My only quibble with the book was the way the character of Subedei is introduced. It's done in such a way that he starts off as a creepy stalker simply called The Watcher. Then is introduced by name when he actually meets Maliha face-t0-face. It was a strange switch of storytelling and it threw me for a bit but I quickly got over it.

Now the best part of the book for me was the end. It ended in such a way that I HAVE to read the next book in the series. I normally do not finish the first book of a series with a burning desire to find out what the ending meant. This time I did.

I urge everyone who is a fan of urban fantasy/paranormal to pick this book up and read it. You won't be disappointed. By the way doesn't the book cover remind you of a really, really good movie poster?

Synopsis From The Back Cover:

For centuries, the woman calling herself Maliha Crayne has lived a second life-as an assassin for the malevolent creature who owns her would. A haunted killer with the blood of countless victims on her hands, she has finally discovered a way to nullify the demonic pact that chains her: If she save a life for every one she has taken, she will be free. But if she fails, her punishments will be unspeakable, unendurable...and neverending.

20 comments:

Sheila (bookjourney) said...

Great review Ryan. I really enjoyed reading this.

Rich Mom, Rich Dad. Poor Mom, Poor Dad. said...

Awesome review! It's in my TBR pile and just waiting for it's turn. This makes me want to bump it up on the list..lol

Ryan said...

Sheila, thank you so much!

Jaime, I can't wait to hear what you think of it once you read it.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Great review Ryan. This book is on my list to read since I saw it over at B&N last month. I am in a contest to win it but if I don't win I will pick it up. I really liked the idea of the book.

Over at B&N the reviews weren't very good. But that isn't going to stop me. You can't please everyone, there are always those who don't like something. But I have read good reviews as well. So I feel it is all in what you like and read into the story line.

Thanks for the review, now I can't wait to get the book.

Anonymous said...

I haven't read a flat-out urban fantasy for awhile, one that hasn't had a romance involved. This sounds like one I might enjoy.

Dakota Banks said...

Thanks, Ryan, for your great review of Dark Time. I'mn glad you enjoyed it.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Why, hello Dakota! It is great to see you stopping by to say thank you.

I do have to say I really do think this is wonderful when and author stops by to show their appreciation. It makes us as a reader feel wonderful!

Dakota, If you are still around... How many books are going to be in this series? And do you have them already started or are you still working on them? Do you have a tentative schedule for release dates?

I do plan on getting to read these but just to keep in the back of my mind for the future as well.

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

I havent really read this genre but it does sound fun.
Man, the list of books is ever growing.

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

Ryan I added you to my Blog roll. I just figured out how. Not so tech savvy!

Wanna add me to yours? I'm super cool!!

Ryan said...

Melissa, Ignore the reviews (well the negative ones anyway) and have fun with it. It's a great read.

Carol, there is a little romance in it. Even without it I would have loved the book.

Dakota, thank you so much for stopping by. It's always nice to hear from the author. Come back anytime!

Michelle, I'll be adding you now. :-)

bookmagic said...

Great review. I'm not normally into paranormal but I'm thinking I need to expand my horizons. This books sounds really good.

Ryan said...

Deb, I don't think you would be dissapointed. Let me know what you thought if you decide to read it.

Krista said...

Awesome review, Ryan! It is on my list for sure!

Peter S. said...

This is a great review, Ryan! LOL about the book cover. The first time I saw it, I thought you were reviewing a movie.

bookmagic said...

I have an award for you here Ryan!!
http://bookmagic418.blogspot.com/2009/09/award-fever.html#links

Dakota Banks said...

Ryan, the next book in the Mortal Path series is Sacrifice, due out next summer. It's been turned in to the editor but I expect some fine-tuning. These are research-intensive books--a tough series to write!

I'd like to see six or seven books in this series to allow enough time for its dual story arcs to reach their conclusions, but that's up to the publisher's willingness to keep publishing them!

Ryan said...

Krista, can't wait to hear what you think of it.

Peter, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that. The cover is terrific.

Deb, thanks :-)

Dakota, thank you so much for coming back and answering Melissa's questions. That was above and beyone and I really appreciate it. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series and those following that one.

Krista said...

Ryan, I forgot to say I really dig this cover, too! Very cool!

Ryan said...

Krista, I figured you might!

vvb32 reads said...

this sounds good with an awesome kickin female character. gonna add it to my pile.