Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Andy Griffith, 1926-2012


I wasn't born when The Andy Griffith show was first on the air, and I was way too young to appreciate it when it seemed to be on a channel at least once a day.  I would watch it occasionally, but if I was going to watch an older show in reruns, this wouldn't have been my first pick.  I preferred Perry Mason, The Green Hornet, The Lone Ranger, The Big Valley, or Gilligan's Island.  It wasn't until I was much older that I was able to get into The Andy Griffith Show.  As an adult, I found the show to be a wonderful example of what made TV great back in the day.  It wasn't filled with sex scenes, explosions, or car chases.  It was a simple show about a family and the town they lived in.  It was a show full of wonderful actors who obviously enjoyed what they were doing.

But it was Matlock that made me fall in love with Andy Griffith.  I've always been a huge mystery fan, even as a kid, so if a sleuthing show was on, I watched it.  I always knew that if I was falsely accused of murder I would want Matlock as co counsel with Perry Mason, and Jessica Fletcher leading the investigation team.  I can't begin to tell you how many hours of enjoyment Matlock and Andy Griffith brought me, but I can tell you that know that he has passed, those hours will be cherished even more.


5 comments:

bermudaonion said...

My son told me about this - I am so sad. What a great actor.

Mandi said...

So sad to hear this. :(

Lisa said...

He definitely left his mark on this country - and always in such a positive way!

Alexia561 said...

When I was younger, The Andy Griffiith Show seemed boring. It wasn't until I was older that I could really appreciate it, and I loved Andy and Opie's relationship! So sad that we've lost yet another legend. RIP Andy.

Lauren Hairston said...

I've always loved The Andy Griffith Show and how awesome was he in A Face in the Crowd? That's hands-down one of the best movies ever.