Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Favorite Fictional Character --- Speed Buggy


I'm going to finish the month off with another one of my favorite cartoons that played on USA's Cartoon Express.  Speed Buggy was the coolest car since Herbie, only with more personality.


Speed Buggy, or Speedy to his friends, was a fiberglass dune buggy that loved to win races.  Along with his builder, Tinker, and two other friends, Speedy traveled the world racing against all types of cars.  No race was too big or too small and Speedy normally came out on top.

What made the show so much fun though was all the mysteries and espionage situations they found themselves in.  Like Scooby, Jabber, Josie, or Captain Caveman, Speedy would normally get involved in some nefarious happenings and would always manage to save the day.  He was loyal and lovable, almost like a big dog on wheels.  He had a mind of his own but could be controlled by a remote as well.  Tinker and his friends would rarely ever use it, but sometimes the bad guys got a hold of it and made Speedy do things against his will.

There are few cases where a car could stand on his own as a character.  I don't think it's enough that they talk, I mean KITT would never be considered a great character, there has to be a personality as well.  Speedy not only has the personality to pull it off, he also has the heart to go along with it.  No matter what, whether anyone else agree with me, Speedy will always hold a special place in my memories.

7 comments:

bermudaonion said...

That's another new one for me!

Bev Hankins said...

I loved Speed Buggy! Great choice!

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

Another one of my favorites! I used to watch this every Saturday morning when I was a kid. This really shows my age, as these were first run episodes...LOL!

Ladytink_534 said...

Oh I always liked Speedy! I'll occasionally get to catch an episode on Boomerang.

Anonymous said...

Great choice. This was always a fun cartoon.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Oh yeah! You always come up with these amazing shows that are long forgotten in the back of my mind. I remember this one! :) And I have to admit, my husband has a buggy in the garage to remodel, if he ever gets there with all we've had going on. ;) Great pick!

Unknown said...

Bravo I commend you on your choice I was a big fan of speedy and the gang