Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Favorite Fictional Character --- Ren


Another month and another monthly "theme" for the FFC posts.  This month is going to be about cartoon characters.  There will be no time period restrictions on it, but I think I will be featuring some rather more obscure characters than the more popular ones.  Today's will be one of the sexiest male cartoons characters ever drawn, Ren from "The Pirates of Darkwater".


"The Pirates of Dark Water" took place on the world of Mer.  Mer is a land of 20 seas with most land broken up into islands.  Unfortunately those seas have been slowly being corrupted by Dark Water.  The Dark Water is slowly killing of the land and is becoming more and more hostile to ships sailing the seas.

Octopon was the brightest and most advanced kingdom of the land and Ren's father was the king that ruled it.  The Dark Dweller created Dark Water to destroy the land and Octopon was one of it's first casualties.  Ren was sent into exile at a young age and was raised, unaware of who he truly was, by a lighthouse keeper.  Once Ren reached adult hood, he discovered the truth and set out on a quest to discover the lost treasure of Mer.  By retrieving those treasure, Ren will be able to defeat the Dark Dweller and save his world from the decay that is slowly killing it.

Ren is a brilliant example of a young man reluctantly embracing his destiny and trying to do the right thing for those he doesn't know.  He is joined on his adventure by various friends and foes alike but they all serve to highlight Ren's strengths and weaknesses.  Between the writing, the drawing, and the lush environment that Ren got to play in, he was one of the most dashing and fun cartoon characters created in the 1990s.

4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

When I saw Ren in your title, I immediately thought of Ren and Stimpy and I've never seen the show!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Oh, I think I watched this when I was younger. :) It really has been a long time and I don't think it was on long. :) But I always loved the ocean. :)

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

I thought it was Ren of Ren and Stimpy too!

diego78 said...

Hmm! This is interesting. It is weird how we actually fall in love with the characters. I have just started watching shows by Andy Yeatman on Netflix and I already think I am one of the characters from his show. It seems like my life has been made into a series of episodes and people are watching it. It is cool though and I love it.