Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Favorite Fictional Character --- Pluto


I don't think I can really remember a time as a kid when we didn't have some sort of pet living in the house with us.  Every once in a while it would be a cat, but most of the time we had at least one dog as part of our family.  Above all other choices, dogs just seem to make themselves part of the family faster and easier than any other animal.  They don't have the aloofness that cats seem to ooze out of their pours, unlike hedgehogs they are easier to cuddle with, and are better companions than goldfish.  Our featured dog for this week is one of those dogs.  He is his owners family.  I just can't imagine Mickey Mouse without Pluto.


When I was a kid, I wanted a dog just like Pluto.  I thought Mickey Mouse had to be the luckiest guy in the world to have Pluto in his life.  The relationship was fun to watch and I never tired of seeing them together.   Pluto, at times, seemed to be an extension of Mickey.  They were joined at the hip and their adventures were of the kind I wanted to have.

I wanted to go cut a Christmas tree, bring it home, and then have two little chipmunks take up residence in my home.  Now I may have felt bad for Pluto and the abuse he had to take from Chip and Dale, but I couldn't help but laugh every time I watched it.  Now poor Pluto ended up tearing up the Christmas tree and destroying most of the other Christmas decorations in the process, but he was not going to let the two little creatures get away with it.  In true owner behavior, Mickey got angry at first, but quickly found the humor in his pets behavior.

Pluto wasn't the perfect pet by any stretch of the imagination, but what animal could be.  I think it's perfectly natural for him to get jealous every time Mickey wants to bring a new pet into the home.  I believe most of us would do the same thing in his place.  Dogs, including Pluto, tend to let their curiosity get into trouble.  They don't want to mess up, but they can't help but investigate something new.  It's part of the charm that all dogs have surrounding them.

One of these day I'm going to have a dog just like Pluto, that childhood desire has not gone away.  I just have to remember to inspect my Christmas trees before I bring them home.

6 comments:

Simcha said...

My kids have just started watching Mickey Mouse cartoons and my four year old is also enamored with Pluto. Though I don't really remember spending much time watching Mickey Mouse myself, as a kid. Other than that movie with him as the Magician's Assistant, with the dancing brooms.

bermudaonion said...

I loved Pluto too, but the dog I wanted for my very own was Snoopy! lol When you get a dog, you'll think it's even better than Pluto.

carol said...

I always felt a little bad for Pluto. I never quite understood why he couldn't talk but all the other animals could.

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

I don't know... I have strange enough dogs I think Pluto would be total friends with. Get a weim. They are considered the dog with a human brain. Just beware... they are very active and do get separation anxiety easily.

Great choice of character!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

All the dogs are cool! But poor pluto always was in trouble with Mickey. lol. Great pick!

Susan said...

In 2 Years or Less You will have Your Pluto..And Yes inspect The Christmas Trees..One never knows..lol