Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Favorite Fictional Character --- Wonder Woman


Well here it is, another week and finally a new character to post about.  I know she's not from One Life To Live, though that would have made the show even more interesting.  I've been rather upset about the show going off the air, so I'm just not prepared to dive back into the pool of characters.  It's pathetic, but I miss them too much right now.  Instead I'm going to briefly talk about one of my favorite super heroes of all time, Wonder Woman.  Now I was never a fan of DC comic books, so I can't talk about that version of her.  Instead this will be about the TV version played by the gorgeous Lynda Carter.


As some of you may know, the television series only lasted 3 seasons, though I think it should have gone for many more.  I actually own every season on DVD and probably watch it a bit too much.  The show was cheesy and the timeline was hilarious.  Season one takes place while the U.S. is fighting Nazi Germany, and most of the action takes place along those lines.  The second season takes place decades later and the main male lead actor is now playing the son of the first character he played.  It's just lots of fun.

Like I said earlier I don't know much about the comic version of Wonder Woman, but from what I've seen form the TV show makes me fall in lover with her every time she steps onto my screen.  Besides being drop dead gorgeous with some of the sexiest eyes to ever grace a human being, she is one of those rare characters that has no ulterior motives.  She does what she does because she believes it to be the right thing to do and she wants to help the human race survive the pitfalls that are laid before it.

She is everything a super hero should be.  She has superior strength, stamina, and can leap like a gazelle.  She has a lasso that forces those caught with it to tell the truth, she can stop bullets with her bracelets, and even has an invisible plane to ride around in.  But most of all she is purely selfless.  She is an Amazonian princess who grew up (without aging) on an enchanted island that protects it's inhabitants.  It's by her own choice to get involved in the outside world and protect man from outside enemies and from itself.  It's not something she has to do because the gods tell her, it's because she knows it's the right thing to do.  I can only hope that she is an example that more people live up to in that regard.

I think this is where I will end this post because I have an burning desire to go watch season 3.

13 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Wonder Woman started when I was a freshman in college and I was so glad to finally have a strong heroine to watch on TV!

Unknown said...

I LOVED this show growing up!

Unknown said...

Wonder Woman has always been one of those superheroes I've had trouble taking seriously. Maybe that's because I've grown up seeing more parodies of her than anything else.

Watched some of the animated movie last weekend with Keri Russell voicing her. Every time I see the invisible jet, I check out. You can fly! Why do you need a jet?!

Anonymous said...

I don't care how much skinny girls who look like 14 year old boys grace the cover of fashion magazines, none could hold a candle to Lynda Carter.

http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Wonder Woman is the boom! I love her, and no matter who they get to play her in the future movies there is only one woman that fits the part perfectly... you have her pictured here. :)

Great pick!

Hope you are feeling better. :)

Staci said...

I wanted to be her!!! I loved this show and was mesmerized each time it came on. I dressed up as her for Halloween and boy did I think I was hot stuff with those plastic cuffs and head piece!

LoriStrongin said...

A friend of mine is a HUGE Wonder Woman fan and has bombarded me with all things WW. Have you seen the reboot they wanted to launch (both in comic form and in a TV series)? They made the character so unrecognizable from her previous incarnations that it didn't get past the pilot/first issue. Let's just say there was way too much leather involved...


Smiles!
Lori

Anonymous said...

I love the mythology of Wonder Woman, about how she's an Amazon, which totally makes sense. I did watch the TV shows but I got confused and turned off when they switched the storyline to present day.

Alexia561 said...

As beautiful as she was, it always annoyed me that Wonder Woman dressed in high heels and hot pants. Her costume was obviously designed by men! How are you supposed to chase the bad guys in high heels??? Yes, I was a precocious child. ;)

Teddyree said...

I loved the Wonder Woman tv series too but must admit when I went on a nostalgic binge and attempted to re watch all the series it didn't hold quite the same appeal LMAO

Zia said...

I loved Wonder Woman. I even had a set of, what were they called...Underoo's I think heh.

KarenSi said...

I loved Wonder Woman when I was little. I wanted to be her. I don't remember any of the story lines though.

carol said...

I love Wonder Woman, although I'm not sure I'd actually want to go back and watch the episodes again. I might find it disenchanting.