Friday, June 6, 2014

Tic Tac Tome by Willy Yonkers


Synopsis From Back Cover:

Tic Tac Tome is the world's first tic-tac-toe playing book:  deceptively simple, endlessly addictive, and (nearly) impossible to defeat.  Turn the pages, match it move-for-move, and watch the book defeat you forward, backward, and diagonally.  There's just one way to win, so choose wisely! It's the smartest book you'll ever cross.

You know those miniature books that clog the tables near the check out counter in almost every bookstore, I tend to ignore them.  Most of the time those tables are crowded with an endless supply of books designed to waste your time, or to go into a Christmas stocking, never to be seen again.  Sadly, Tic Tac Tome would find it's home on one of those tables, and without Eric at Quirk Books, I never would have become so addicted to such a small book.

I don't know about you, but I spent hours of my childhood playing one of the simplest games in the world.  It took me a few years to figure out how to play it really well, at least to the point I wasn't beaten every time I played someone older than me.  And for some reason, it's been a game I've seemed to get away from the older I've gotten.  So when Eric offered me the chance to review this book, it felt as if I was being given a piece of my childhood back.

I had to read the instructions twice, only because I skimmed them the first time, before I was able to follow along with what I had to do.  You simply choose a move, then go to that corresponding page to see the book's counter move, you repeat the process until the game is over.  Once I got the hang of it, I quickly spent over an hour trying to beat the damn book, I never did. I guess I should consider myself lucky that the book never beat me, we ended in a draw every time.  So now I'm just biding my time, waiting for the book to start feeling superior, because maybe then it will get sloppy.  I'm going to beat it at some point in time, I just hope that my gloating doesn't hurt it's feelings.

7 comments:

carol said...

Sounds cute, although probably not something I'd actually spend money on.

bermudaonion said...

Oh my gosh, what a clever idea! Let us know when you win.

Lisa said...

What fun - the addiction of a computer game in a book!

Alexia561 said...

What a fun book! I'd probably do the same thing and keep playing until I finally beat the book. On the other hand, I never was very good at the game, so it might take awhile! *L*

Unknown said...

This is a clever idea. I sometimes play tic-tac-toe with my ten-year-old. This might be a fun investment.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Sounds right up my alley.. I love games so :)

Susan said...

Will Buy it.. sounds Like My Daughter and I would love it xx