Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Favorite Fictional Character --- Benji


I'm actually a little surprised right now that I haven't thought of this month's theme before now.  I love dogs, they are my favorite animal, and off the top of my head I can probably think of 20-25 fictional dog characters that I adore.  I think that's the reason I've stayed away from this theme for so long.  How can I possibly narrow the list down to my 5 favorites.  So what I'm going to do is right down as many as I can......that ended up being 30 dogs, put the names in a hat, and draw one every week.  So let's see who is up first.....Benji!


I'm going to admit right up front that I haven't watched a Benji movie since I was a kid.  But as a kid, I think I watched three of them at least 10 times each.  I'm such a Benji nerd that I can still pretty much tell you the plot points of all three films.  I would sit on the floor, unmoving, in front of the television every time one of the movies came on TV.  I didn't want to be bugged by my mom or little brother.  All I wanted was to watch my hero save the day once again.

Benji is one of those dogs that does the right thing no matter the danger it puts him in.  He has helped rescue kidnapped kids, run from secret agents in Athens, and save cougar cubs in the wilds of Oregon.  He is fearless and one of those characters that I admired as a kid.  He was willing to do whatever it took to protect those who could not protect themselves.  But most of all, Benji was smart enough to recognize what needed to be done.  Courage is a great think in a hero, but it's the intelligence to recognize the situation, understand the possible consequences, and still go through with the mission that sets true heroes apart from the rest of us.  And that is what Benji is to me, a hero.  He's a hero that I'm really thinking my son needs to be introduced to.

5 comments:

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

awww, now who couldn't love that little guy? ;D Thank you for the reminder!

bermudaonion said...

I loved Benji too! I wanted to own him!

Anonymous said...

Oh, my you didn't! Look at that face. I just want to sweep him up in my arms and cuddle with him.

Staci said...

I loved Benji as a kid. I had a Benji lunchbox!!!

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

I loved Benji too! I mean really, who didn't? Cute as a button and smart too. I loved the movies as a kid.