Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Favorite Fictional Character --- Rose Nylund


When I was trying to figure out the theme for this month's posts I was watching an episode of The Golden Girls, laughing and enjoying myself.  I mean those four women were just down right hilarious.  Then I realized that I had never said a word about them, nothing.  Not even a peep.  So this month, I will be correcting that outrageous mistake on my part.  Instead of just doing one post about all of them, there will be 4 weeks celebrating these wonderful, one of a kind characters.


Of all the girls, I would have to say Rose Nylund was my favorite.  It's not just because she is from my home state of Minnesota, though I think that helped me fall in lover with her more.  Especially when I was living away from there, she felt like a little bit of home, even though I knew nobody like her.

Rose, for those of you not familiar with the show, came across as a bit naive and innocent.  She would always relate current situations back to people she knew in St. Olaf, MN, her hometown.  Now when I say naive, I mean it.  It would take Rose a bit to understand certain sexual or societal tones that she had not been familiar with.  I think it's because of that trait that made Rose so damn lovable.  In the back of my mind, I always wondered how much of it was real.  I'm just not convinced that someone of her age could be that unaware of certain things.  I always felt as if she laid it on a bit thick to make others underestimate her, giving her the uperhand.

I don't want to get into her bio, but I will say that her father was a monk.  That should give you an idea on how crazy her childhood was.  What I do want to say is how Rose made me feel as I watched her on my screen.  Despite, or because of it, her ditzyness she made me feel as if this was someone I could talk to for hours and would never judge me.  She was caring (always doing volunteer work) and always seemed to have time to listen to others, even when they would not return the favor at times.  She was a truly beautiful character with an amazing soul.  I just wish more television characters today could live up to her example.


10 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

Rose was the best :D I can still hear her voice in my head when she tells them about her hometown

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I've been a huge fan of the Golden Girls since it was first released in 1986 or 1987. Rose and Sophia have been my favorites, although all of the team makes the show (as is true with the Seinfeld characters) IMO.

Interesting post; loved it.

bermudaonion said...

I adore Rose! I laugh out loud when I think of the episode when the guy died when he was in bed with her.

Yvette said...

I love Rose too. :)

Anonymous said...

I love Golden Girls!!! I have a soft spot for Rose - in fact I adore all of them. But Rose's St. Olaf stories were on par with Sophia's outrageous tales of Sicily.

carol said...

I used to love the Golden Girls. Rose and Sophia were my favorites, but all four were fabulous. And I'm so glad Betty White is having a comeback, not that she ever really went away.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I loved Rose too! Great pick Ryan! I wish I would get over here more often! Seems like life gets crazier and crazier and my time to sit and visit my favorite blogs isn't what it used to be ;)

Staci said...

I loved Rose..she was one of the reasons I kept watching this show!!

Wrighty said...

What a great show that was! I occasionally catch a rerun still. They were a great cast together but Rose was special. I've always liked every character Betty White has played. Great choice this week!

Alexia561 said...

Great choice! I used to love The Golden Girls!