Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Favorite Fictional Character --- Dorothy Zbornak


I don't care who you are, or where you think you are in life right at this moment, we all think of the future.  We all imagine ourselves 20 or thirty years older and the kind of person we think we will turn into.  And I bet every single one of us can point to a fictional character and say that's it.  It could be they way they look, act, or talk, but something about them reminds you of yourself.  One of those characters for me is Dorthy Zbornak for one very simple reason, her sarcastic wit.


Dorthy started her adult life in such a manner that guaranteed herself some hardships.  She was never all that popular in school and was viewed as a bit of a nerd.  Her self esteem wasn't all that great so she agreed to guy out with a guy because she didn't they she could do any better.  The poor thing found herself pregnant and being forced to marry the guy, the creep she stayed married to for way too many years.

She eventually leaves the jerk and moves in with two other woman, Rose and Blanche, which is where we get to meet this wonderfully sarcastic woman for the first time.  Dorothy is the one person in the house that you could always count on to give you a piece of her mind, but be their for you when all the chips were down.  She had a mouth and a brain which is one of those wonderful combinations of traits. 

It's her relationship with her mother, Sophia, that really makes Dorothy shine.  They have such a love-hate dynamic that has always been fascinating for me to watch.  They both have razor tongues, but they are both as loving and as gentle as puppies when the chips are down are they are needed.  It's such a wonderful relationship to watch that I'm saddened to not be able to watch it everyday like I used too.

I'm really looking forward to being the old guy with the heart of gold and a sharpened tongue.  Thanks to Dorothy, I have an example to follow.



7 comments:

Teddyree said...

Bahaha the razor tongue and sarcastic wit cracks me up :))

bermudaonion said...

Oh, I hope I know you when you get to be like Dorothy! She was a hoot!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Okay, I'm going to say something, but you have to promise to not tell my grandma... Promise?

The character she played, and her, always reminded me of my own grandma. :) I just loved her. Actaully, the whole cast of women here was a winning combination. Great pick!

Anonymous said...

Out of the four of them, I connected with Dorothy the most too – as the brainy, unpopular, and acerbic one!

Staci said...

Her sarcasm is what had me coming back for more. Loved her!

Alexia561 said...

Loved her sarcastic sense of humor! If I'm half as witty as Dorothy when I get older, I'll be thrilled!

Stepping Out of the Page said...

I will ashamedly admit that I'd never heard of Dorothy before now, but it looks like I'll have to look into her work, she sounds great fun!

New to your blog,
Stephanie
My Latest Post|Enter my Giveaway