Saturday, December 5, 2009

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens


Well I finally did it, I read A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens for the very first time in my life. Now like most people, this was a story I was already familiar with through the numerous film adaptations so the book didn't have any big surprises in store for me. I loved it anyway. It was like visiting an old friend you haven't seen in a while and rediscovering what made you friends to begin with.

I had forgotten how elegant of a writer Charles Dickens was, the words he chose and the way they are put together it brilliant. He immerses you in the story while at the same time allowing you to witness everything that is going on around you. I really need to remind myself to read more of his work since he is an author I've generally ignored since college.

The character of Scrooge has always seemed a little off to me in the movies for some reason. I'm not sure why, can't really explain it, the book turns him into a more concrete, solid character for me. One that I can relate too a little easier and cheer for when he turns his life around. I guess what I'm trying to say is that this is the first time I ever cared about what happens to him. It's the first time that I cheered (in my head of course) when he realizes that it's still Christmas day and he is able to start making amends.

I'm a holiday reader. I devour books and movies that bring the season home to me and this book will be a yearly staple for me. I just need to read Cricket on the Hearth now since I already own the DVD.

I read this as part of Nely's 2009 Holiday Reading Challenge and Michelle's Christmas Reading Challenge.

7 comments:

robsad79 said...

Out of all his books this one is definitely my favorite.

Ryan said...

I really enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm happy I chose to read it this year.

robsad79 said...

I love reading it every Christmas.....

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

I'm reading this to Kiddo right now - we're only up to the Ghost of Christmas Past so far, but I think he's enjoying it. We're doing the original version w/ all the old-fashioned language so I do have to stop and explain things but I think it's worth it.

And I agree with you that Scrooge is easier to identify with and root for in the book than he is on screen ... not sure why, but it is true!

Cecelia said...

I've read this one a couple of times (in high school!), but your review is making me consider breaking it out again. Such a Christmas classic! Great thoughts, Ryan.

ibeeeg said...

I read this story for the first time last December.

You wrote: "book turns him into a more concrete, solid character for me. One that I can relate too a little easier and cheer for when he turns his life around. I guess what I'm trying to say is that this is the first time I ever cared about what happens to him. "
I felt that exact way when I read the story last December. It was the first time I connected with Scrooge and cared what happened. I suppose that goes to show me, yet again, how a book can bring me into a story far greater than movies.

I just saw the new movie of A Christmas Carol with Jim Carey. It is 3D and thought it was pretty good. I am thinking that it may be my favorite movie version of the story. Still, though, it does not beat the book.

Dulcinea said...

I actually received a big illustrated edition of this book when I was 4, so it has long been a part of my life! I'm glad that you finally got around to reading this great classic. BTW, they are discussing it on the Classics board this month, and there is a thread for Cricket on the Hearth, too. I think I will try to read that, as I don't think I have read it yet and it is in my B&N Classics edition. My favorite movie is the one with Alistair Sim, but I also like Reginald Owen and George C. Scott (although I am not generally a Scott fan).