Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Favorite Fictional Character --- Dagwood Bumstead


Today, I'm feeling a lot like the subject of this post.  I'm a little lazy, and would like nothing better to do than curl up on the couch and take a nap.  And I'll admit to being a bit peckish as well, maybe a nice large sandwich would hit the spot.  I would even be up for one of the long, soaking baths he is so fond of, but I'm just a tad bit too tall for that one, at least in the standard sized bathtub.  I also don't seem to have the energy to make, let alone eat, the type of sandwich that he is so know for.  So if I'm going to emulate Dagwood Bumstead at all, it will be taking a quick (or long) nap on the couch.


Growing up, I'm sure that Dagwood did not foresee the adult life he wasn't that far away from.  Growing up in a rather wealthy family, they did own a locomotive company after all, I don't think Dagwood dreamed of working at J.C. Dithers & Company, as an office manager.  Nor do I think he saw himself with two kids, a dog, and a mortgage.  But the life young Dagwood dreamed of, quickly disappeared when he met Blondie Boopadoop, a young flapper out on the town.  The two fell in love, married, and Dagwood quickly saw himself disowned by his parents.

So know he slaves away, working for someone else, just to provide for his family.  His social life now revolves around the neighborhood he lives in, and he has found comfort in lives simple pleasures; food, sleep, and water.  I'm not sure I would have liked the Dagwood of yesteryear, before he met Blondie, but I know that I love the family man that he became.


6 comments:

TracyK said...

What a wonderful post, Ryan. I love Dagwood too. Have been reading the comic for decades.

Unknown said...

Seriously ... Boopadoop is Blondie's maiden name? Who knew? :-)

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Oh my goodness! I remember reading the comics and seeing him. lol. Great pick!

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Great post, Ryan. I still read Blondie and I've always thought of the Bumsteads as a happy and normal American family, as families are meant to be, you know.

Alexia561 said...

While I've been reading Blondie for years, I never understood how those two wound up together! lol

Rich Mom, Rich Dad. Poor Mom, Poor Dad. said...

Oh my goodness- I haven't read a Blondie comic in years!!!!