Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Melissa's Favorite Fictional Character --- Eliza Braun


I'm happy to say one of my oldest online friends, originally from the Barnes & Noble Book Club forums is here today to present a new Favorite Fictional Character.  Melissa of My World...In Words and Pages was one of the first people I got to know on the forum and we got to know each other even better on twitter.  When she started her own blog, I'm almost positive I was one of her first 5 followers.  She is a brilliant blogger and writer who never fails to amaze me with her talent.  She is so good at reviewing epic fantasy, an area I lack in, that I know I'll never be able to duplicate.  For those of you who don't know her, please feel free to go over and say hi.  I'm sure she won't mind.


This week I am picking a woman form a new read I read not so long ago.  She is a New Zealand woman that is very positive about herself.  Yes, I'm talking about Agent Eliza Braun from A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences: Phoenix Rising.  We also get to hear a little more on her in the Tales From the Archives pod casts.

Oh, and Eliza likes things that go boom.  And I'm not talking just firecrackers.  Nope, I'm talking dynamite!  Her favorite thing to use when in a bind is dynamite, as it makes it all go away.  And she is very handy with guns.  She always has some weapon stowed away on her at all times, no matter if she is dressed for the opera or off to work in the dreaded basement of the Archives and wanting to be out in the field once again.

Her humor is fun when you pair her up with Agent Wellington Books, the Archivist in the Ministries Archives.  They are completely opposite characters and Eliza makes him shine nicely, Eliza just seems like fun with him.

9 comments:

Simcha said...

I love this book cover, with the woman and her weapon and the guy sipping tea in the background. Eliza sounds like the kind of character I enjoy reading about and I really look forward to getting to know her when I (eventually) read this book.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Ryan, I think you might have been my FIRST follower on the blog. :) You and Deb. But thank you! You are really too kind to me. It has always been fun chatting with you everywhere we go. And thank you! for all the kind words and all. I always thought I couldn't keep up with your reviews and talents here. But we all have our strengths. :)

Simcha - Oh, I really do think you will love reading this book. Eliza is just so much fun!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great character and that cover is amazing.

Blodeuedd said...

*jumps up and down*
I wanna read this book!!! :D You have so sold it to me

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Oh I agree... I love Eliza! I loved her with Books too. Perfect pick! :)

Anonymous said...

I like fiery female characters, literally & figuratively! You've been building my interest steadily about these series, especially since the main female character sounds so strong and interesting.

Yvette said...

Terrific post. Great cover and the book sounds intriguing. :)

Ryan said...

Between your enthusiasm for the character and the great cover, I may have to give this one a try someday. Thanks again for doing this amazing post.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

CarolsNotebook - So glad you liked the character. :) And I do love this cover too! Thank you!

Blodeuedd - lol. YOU NEED THIS BOOK! lol. Now to get it in your hands. I'm tormented you enough with this one right? Nahh, I'll keep going with it. ;D

Melissa (Books&Things) - Oh thank you! Her and Books are such a great pair. They are just so much fun. :)

StephanieD - Oh, I hope you get a chance to give this book a try. :) She is really a great lead female character. :)

Yvette - Thank you! I do love this cover too. And Glad you like the sounds of the book. :)

Ryan G - Oh Ryan, I do think you would enjoy the fun in this book. And I have to say Philippa has become one of my favorite writers as of late. I do hope you give it a try. :) Thank you for having me by! It was so much fun.