Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Favorite Fictional Character --- Indiana Jones


I'm more than a little excited to do this FFC post and I wish I could say it was all because of Indy.  As great as Indy is, I wouldn't be doing this post if he wasn't, he's not what I'm thrilled about showing you.  What I'm still giddy over is the lovely button that you see on the left hand side.  Saturday morning, early Saturday morning I got a email from my good friend Michelle of The True Book Addict.  Now any chance I get to talk with her is always fun so I gladly opened my email then about fell out of my chair.  The email was letting me know that, all on her own, she made a fantastic button for my Favorite Fictional Character posts.  Not only that, she made separate buttons for Halloween and Christmas characters during the months of Oct. and Dec.  Now I admit to never even thinking about having buttons for this but now that I have seen them and get to use them, I'm overly thrilled.  So I want to give a big humongous THANK YOU to Michelle.

Born, Henry Walton Jones, Jr., Indiana Jones is a rough and tumble college professor, archaeologist, OSS operative, and a ophidiophobia sufferer.  He is one of the most endearing characters to ever grace the big screen and I wanted to be just like him when I grew up. 

As Professor Jones, Indy is the intelligent, scholarly man who wears tweed and gives lectures that don't make you want to fall asleep.  He speaks many languages and knows so much about history and cultures that you would want him to be your lifeline call.  Once he has the chance to go out to the field and find an artifact though, he become Indiana Jones.  A fedora wearing, whip carrying man of action, Indian Jones is the pulp fiction hero come to life.

What is amazing about this character though is despite his rugged good looks (just look at that picture) and intense bravery, he is a human being.  He gets hurt, makes mistakes, laughs at himself and is so scared of snakes it's almost embarrassing to watch.  This sense of being a fallible human is what makes him such a great character.  He is the everyman we all want to be as kids especially when he is fighting Nazis, securing the Ark of the Covenant, finding the Holy Grail, or encountering inter dimensional beings.

11 comments:

Lydia said...

I love Indiana Jones! (And totally get you on that rugged good looks!)

bermudaonion said...

Who doesn't love Indy - especially when he's portrayed by Harrison Ford!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

LOVE the button! What a nice surprise. :)

Anonymous said...

The button is great. How nice of her.
And I do love Indy!

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

I like your new photo for this!

Anonymous said...

I didn't care for the last movie, but the first three are classics each by their own right.

http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

Simcha said...

Love the button. I totally have to start doing FFC posts again so that I can use it myself.
While I know all about Indiana Jones I've never actually seen the movies. I know I really should.

I did have over for dinner once Vendel Jones, a man who it is said the character of Indiana Jones is based on. Spielberg denies it though. Interestingly enough, Vendel, who is an archeologist in search of the Ark of the Covenant (he told us that he knows where it is but is trying to get the funding to dig there), did experience some of the events portrayed in the movie, so who knows?

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Okay, first. I LOVE THE BUTTON!! I can't wait to use it on the next FFC I do. :)

And Indy is the best character ever to pick. I love watching all the movies! Great great character pick.

Anonymous said...

Michelle rocks! That is an awesome button for your meme.

Alexia561 said...

What a great new button! And she made special ones for Halloween and Christmas as well? Can't wait! Yea Michelle!

As for Indiana Jones....well, let's just say that the first movie has been the only movie I've ever paid to see five times. In the theater. On the big screen. *sigh*

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

First of all, you are so welcome! Just a little gift for my good friend! And thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Indiana Jones...adore him! Let me just say that I loved Harrison Ford back in the day when he played the sardonic Han Solo and then Indy. These were perfect characters for him and while the newest Indy movie may not have been as good as its predecessors, I still liked it because Harrison Ford has not lost his touch!

Great pick this week! I will be picking this meme up again the first week in October with a full month of scary characters for Halloween!