Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Favorite Fictional Character --- The Grinch


There is nothing more rewarding than a redemption story, especially one that happens during Christmas.  When a character starts off grumpy or even flat out mean, when they hate Christmas and all it stands for, there is always a chance that they can change in time to understand the true meaning of Christmas.  One such character, who does make the transformation, just happens to be one of my favorites.  So with no further ado, I would like to present you with The Grinch.


I lived for this TV special to come on when I was a kid.  I don't think there was a year, at least a year when I had any choice in the matter, that I didn't plop myself in front of the TV and enjoy every second of The Grinch's attempt to destroy Christmas.  As a kid, I'm not sure I fully understood the reason why he hated Christmas so much.  All I saw was someone who was mean and nasty steal presents, Christmas trees, wreaths, and even all the food from the poor people of Whoville.

I don't think I got that he was so bitter and mean, because he was lonely.  At least that's the way I've come to understand it now.  It's the explanation I give to my son when he asks me why The Grinch acts the way he does.  The poor guy has no family or friends to celebrate with.  He has nobody to share the warmth and joy that Christmas brings to the rest of us every year.  All he knows is that he hates is with all his heart and he wants it to go away.

But it's through that attempt to annihilate Christmas that The Grinch comes to understand the meaning of that special day.  Once he has successfully gotten away with all their decorations, toys, and all the food for the feast, he discovers something he never thought would happen.  Christmas isn't about all those things, and the people of Whoville prove that to him.  They still wake up on Christmas morning and because they are all together they still start to celebrate.  They rejoice in the meaning of that day and being together.  Because of that, The Grinch is forced to rethink the whole thing, both mentally and emotionally.  He comes to understand what makes Christmas so special.

It's because of his story that I never let the trappings of the season get to me.  In the years that I've been poor and could barely afford a tree or a few presents, I remember what the season is really about.  It's about family and friends and the things that makes Christmas special.  It's not about the material things.  As long as I can remember The Grinch's lesson, I will always enjoy Christmas to the fullest.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you know that The Grinch’s voice in the car­toon is pro­vided by no other then noted actor Boris Karloff.

Dr. Seuss didn’t like the cast­ing because he thought Karloff, who made his fame play­ing Frankestien’s mon­ster in the clas­sic 1931 hor­ror clas­sic, would scare chil­dren.

The voice behind “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch” was sup­plied by Thurl Raven­scroft who got no on-screen credit and is bet­ter known as the man behind Tony the Tiger.

http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

Karen Greenberg said...

I love the Grinch! I have an ornament with him on it that rides in my car. It's a nice reminder, all year round, that people can and do change.

bermudaonion said...

The Grinch is the perfect pick!

carol said...

Great choice! I love the Grinch and how he grows and learns. But I want the book or the cartoon, not the Carey version.

Yvette said...

I love the Grinch in the book and in the original cartoon. But not in the Jim Carrey one. Ugh.

But the lesson learned by 'the mean one' is a good lesson.

I'm with you, Ryan.

Merry Christmas to you and your family, my dear blogging friend. :)

Alexia561 said...

Love the Grinch! Excellent choice Ryan! Hope you and your son have a wonderful Christmas!

Staci said...

What a great post, Ryan! I love The Grinch and the meaning behind the story.....we need to focus on what is important!