Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Favorite Fictional Character --- Aaron (The Little Drummer Boy)


Come they told me, pa rum pum pum pum
A new born King to see, pa rum pum pum pum 
Our finest gifts we bring, pa rum pum pum pum 
To lay before the King, pa rum pum pum pum, 
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

So to honor Him, pa rum pum pum pum, 
When we come.  

Little Baby, pa rum pum pum pum
I am a poor boy too, pa rum pum pum pum
I have no gift to bring, pa rum pum pum pum
That's fit to give the King, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum, 

Shall I play for you, pa rum pum pum pum, 
On my drum?

Mary nodded, pa rum pum pum pum
The ox and lamb kept time, pa rum pum pum pum
I played my drum for Hi, pa rum pum pum pum
I played my best for Him, pa rum pum pum pum, 
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum

Then He smiled at me, pa rum pum pum pum,
Me and my drum.


One of the few Christmas specials I never seemed to get into as a kid, was The Little Drummer Boy.  I'm not sure why, maybe because there was no Santa Claus or a red-nosed reindeer.  There was no talking snow man or and pretty Christmas trees.  There just wasn't enough excitement for me.  Now that I'm an adult, this is one that I look forward to every year.  Aaron and his story make me realize that it's not just about the flash and pretty things that makes Christmas special, it's that warm feeling you have when you think about those that you love and the story of that first Christmas night.

When the movie first starts, Aaron is a hurt and angry young man.  Angry at the world for taking his parents away from him, but most of all angry at the entire human race for being responsible.  The only friends he has are the three animals that follow him around.  Baabaa, Samson, and Joshua, the sheep, donkey and camel who dance and play to the beat of Aaron's drum.

When he is kidnapped by a desert nomad to be apart of his traveling show, Aaron goes along with it but quickly loses his temper and tried to run off.  It's through a chance encounter with the three kings that sets Aaron up for an eye opening and life changing experience.  He learns to love and trust again.  He learns that through love, all things are possible.  

Aaron is one of those characters that sticks with me, especially during the Christmas season.  His ability to change into someone he wants to be, is both reassuring and touching to watch. 

This is a clip from the movie, when Aaron is about to play for the baby Jesus.


This is Linda Eder, singing one of my favorite versions of the song itself.


7 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I've never seen the special, but I love the song. I had no idea the drummer boy is named Aaron.

Staci said...

I always looked forward to this one too Ryan. I love that song!!

LoriStrongin said...

*flails and claps wildly* YAY! Another Linda Eder fan! Isn't she amazing?!?! Have you ever heard her version of Man of La Mancha? Go YouTube it immediately if you haven't!

*back on subject, sorry*

I remember watching this one when I was a kid and ditto, I was usually so sick of Frosty, Rudolph, and Santa claymation that this was the only one I could stand watching by the 25th. And it does remain one of my favorite songs of the holiday.

Josh Groban also does a beautiful rendition of the song. Give it a listen. :)



Happy holidays!
Lori

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Ryan this is my absolute favorite Christmas movie - this version of The Little Drummer Boy... makes me cry every time.

Alexia561 said...

You're right, this one doesn't have the dancing snowmen or prancing reindeers, but is a very sweet story. Great choice!

Anonymous said...

I've never seen this Christmas special! But I do love the song; it was a Christmas staple at my church that I attended growing up.

Kaye said...

This is one of my favorite Christmas songs. Have a wonderful week, Ryan.