Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Favorite Fictional Character --- Arabella "Babe" Carey Chandler


I'm writing this month's posts with a very heavy heart.  One of my favorite shows, one I've watched pretty much my whole life, is ending after being on the air for 41 years.  All My Children has been a staple in my house every weekday for what seems like years.  I would watch it with my mom when I was sick and couldn't go to school.  When I left home, the love for this show came with me.  So this month, with only 13 more episodes to go (counting today's), I'm going to highlight some of my favorite characters.  Since I've watched this show for so long, there is no way I'll ever be able to discuss all my favorites (off the top of my head I can think of over 40), I have picked out some of them that have really stood out for me.  The obvious choice, Erica Kane, was a pick during my first year of blogging.  So with no further ado, I would like to introduce you to the first character....


Arabella "Babe" Carey Chandler did not have the easiest start on her arrival in Pine Valley.  She was a cocktail waitress in San Diego when she met J.R. Chandler while he was off on a merchant marine ship trying to find himself.  They quickly marry and move back to good old Pine Valley, PA.  Oddly, on her first night in town, Babe goes to a party and drinks a little too much.  She ends up sleeping with Jamie, J.R.'s brother.  Once they find out who they are, they try to cover it up, until Babe gets pregnant.

The proverbial shit hits the fan.  Everybody finds their lives in chaos and the next few years are filled with all sorts of trouble for her.  Paternity tests, deep friendship with Bianca, switched babies, and out right baby stealing complicate everything for Babe.  She continues to fall in and out of love with JR, making side romances with Jamie and Josh.  She survives a murder attempt by the Satin Slayer and is eventually killed off by a tornado as she protects the life of her son.  I told you it was complicated.  This is just the quick review, I didn't even get into any of the details about running a cosmetics company, a transgender rock star, dating a psycho who want to kill his sister, or the wonderful relationship she had with her mother, Krystal Carey.

What I loved about Babe, is that she refused to give up.  She grew up dirt poor and wanted nothing more than to make a life for herself.  In the beginning she really didn't care about how she got it, but as she made true friends and really figured out what she wanted in life, she grew up.  She became a strong, independent person who was willing to pay for her mistakes and build a better life for her son.  She was loyal and loving, would do anything to protect those she loved.  

I will admit to tearing up just a bit when she died, both times, though the last and final time put a dent in my love for the show.  She was the one character I never wanted to see leave.  I'm hoping that the rumors of her coming back are true.  I would love to see her grace the show with her presence one again before the final page of that photo album is closed for good.

1 comment:

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

I used to watch All My Children years and years ago. Erica Kane was always my favorite! Oh, and I loved Opal Gardner and the whole Tad and Ginny era! I hope I'm remembering right. It has been so long! Sadly, I grew tired of soaps and stopped watching about 15 years ago. Can't believe it has been that long! I think this character probably came onto the scene after I stopped watching because I don't remember her. Do you remember Erica's sister, Silver? And her daughter, Bianca. I had a cat that I named after her back in the day. Didn't Sarah Michelle Gellar play her when she got older? Goodness, I'm just full of questions. LOL! Anyway, sorry your show is leaving. It sucks when you love a show that much and it ends. Kind of how I felt about Seinfeld. =O(