Monday, October 11, 2010

The Tuesday Club Murders by Agatha Christie


Part Of The Synopsis From The Dust Jacket:

A casual evening dinner party becomes a night of intrigue when one of the guests suggests that they each present a mystery - preferably one of which she or he has personal knowledge - and let the group try to uncover it's solution.  This lively proposal yields a plethora of haunting, perplexing tales.  Fortunately for the other guests, Miss Jane Marple is in attendance, ensuring that even the most baffling puzzle will not go unsolved.

Lately I'm finding myself enjoying Agatha Christie's short stories almost more than her full length novels.  This collection is no different.  The premise is pretty simple, during two different dinner parties the guests tell each other about different murders that they have encountered.  They were almost unsolvable and only one or two people knew the truth.  The challenge they had for each other was to discover the truth for themselves.  Once again, our lovable Miss Marple, without ever moving from her chair, figures them all out.

Jane Marple is fast proving to be my favorite over Hercule Poirot.  There is just something so unassuming about her that you can't help but love her, even when she is showing everyone else up.  She is a brilliant observer of human behavior, but even more than that, she keeps that knowledge stored in her brain for when she truly needs it.  If I ever find myself in a sticky situation, I want someone like her on my side digging for the truth.

This book is going to qualify for 3 different challenge; R.I.P V Challenge hosted by Stainless Steel Dropping, Thriller & Suspense Reading Challenge 2010 hosted by Book Chick City, and Typically British Reading Challenge 2010 hosted by Book Chick City.

7 comments:

Katy said...

Sounds like fun! I read my first Christie this year and it featured Poirot (who I thought was quite amusing) but now you've got me wanting to run out and pick up a Miss Marple mystery. :)

Loni said...

The Agatha Christie novels I've read have all been Poirot. It just worked out that way. I'll have to throw some Marple into the mix. Thanks for the review.

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

Seriously, when do you read? I know you work full-time and then there's Aidan. Do you even sleep? LOL! I'm not even working right now and I still don't read as much as you do!

Great review! I still have not cracked another AC book since Partners in Crime. Going to have to be more dedicated in the new year!

Yvette said...

I haven't read this in years, Ryan. Can't remember anything about it. So I think I'll reread it. I am very fond of the Christie short stories as well.

Kerrie said...

Ryan, it would be great if you could submit this to the Agatha Christie Blog Carnival (next edition is October 23)

ibeeeg said...

Have not read any of Agatha Christie...hard to believe, I know, but true. This story sounds good, and has me thinking that I really should read a Christie book.

Kailana said...

One of these days I am going to read some Christie. I am not a huge mystery fan, though, so I like to only have a couple series on the go at a time...