Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Favorite Fictional Character --- Peter Vincent



Now how can I not like a man named after two of my favorite horror actors, Peter Cushing and Vincent Price? Peter Vincent has to be one of the most unique vampire hunters to ever grace the big screen, he is my favorite character from Fright Night. A down on his luck actor who has resorted to hosting a local TV show featuring B horror movie, ala Elvira, Peter has come to a point in his life where he is ready to pack it in and let life do it's thing. When he meets Charlie Brewster, a young man convinced a vampire just moved in next door, a skeptical Peter is pushed into a nightmare that brings him back to life.


A bumbling, reluctant hero in the beginning, Peter has to overcome his own fears and insecurities before he is able to help Charlie defeat the vampire and save the day.  It's that journey that makes Peter such an interesting character to watch.  His development into the hero is such a transformation that you have to respect the inner strength it took for him to face his fears and his self doubts, to emerge a stronger character.  If I ever need to go hunt vampires I'll be taking Buffy and Peter with me.

2 comments:

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

Ah, Roddy McDowell. I loved him as Peter Vincent in Fright Night. I pretty much loved him in all his roles. He was in the movie based on my favorite horror novel, Hell House. It was called The Legend of Hell House.

I'm hoping I can come up with one this week. I'm having a hard time with scary ones!

Are you going to be there next Tuesday when we discuss The Haunting of Hill House? Are you going to read it again?

I haven't forgotten about your movie review button. Don't worry!

joemmama said...

I loved that character and that movie! I could totally relate to his reluctance. I'm not sure I would be as brave as he was!