Thursday, May 6, 2010

Davy Crockett Two Movie Set


I have been a member of the Disney Movie Rewards for a while now, which is the wise thing to do since we buy so many Disney movies, and I finally traded in some points and got this wonderful two movie collection.  We finally finsihed watching it the other day and both Aidan and I loved it. 

For me it was a walk down memory lane, revisiting one of my childhood idols who could werestle an alligator and fight a bear with his bare hands.  Now do I really think he did that in real life, probably not, but half the fun of Davy Crockett is the legend that built up around him.  Not matter what Davy Crockett did, the story was always bigger than the truth.  Whether fighting in the Indian Wars or taking his last stand at the Alamo, Davy was an iconic image of what it meant to be not only an American but what it was to be a man as well.  I looked up to him and these two movies made me remember why I did in the first place.

I think Aidan mainly liked it for the fight scenes between the U.S. Army and the Indians and then between the heroes in the Alamo and the Mexican army.  I found myself having to explain certain things to him at the end of watching them, like he didn't understand that Davy died at the Alamo.  He thought the closing scene where Davy was the lone survior and he's fighting the Mexican army, then it fades to black, meant that Davy beat them all single handidly.  Now since we've watched the movie he has been looking up information on the Alamo, Davy Crockett, and Jim Bowie.  Now while I don't really think this movie was a accurate description of the history of what happened in the Alamo, at least it got Aidan intersted in knowing more about it. 

The first movie in the set was, Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier, which shows Davy as he is fighting in the Indian Wars as a scout and mediator to some of the Indian tribes.  It also accounts his rise in the U.S. Congress and how he ended up in the Alamo to begin with. 

The second movie, Davy Crockett and the River Pirates, takes place either before the first movie or somewhere in the middle of it.  I'm not really sure, and I don't think anyone else knows either.  It features Davy and his best friend George, played by Buddy Ebsn, heading down the Mississippie river to New Orleans in order to sell their furs.  Along the way they encounter river pirates, engage in a heated race, and become friends with the King of the River.  It's more light hearted and humourus then the first movie, and is just a lot of fun to watch.

I would highly suggest anyone who remembers these movies to watch them once again.  It will bring you back to your childhood, sitting on the floor in front of the TV, getting lost in adventures you could only dream of.  Share it with your kids, let them see for themselves, how good TV was back in the day.


5 comments:

Alexia561 said...

Don't remember watching any Davy Crockett when I was a kid, but you make me want to! So glad that you're able to share your childhood favorites with Aidan!

Katy said...

Killed him a b'ar when he was only 3!

You keep flashing me back to my childhood here lately. LOL First The Last Starfighter, now this!

Ryan said...

Alexia, You have no idea what you are missing out on!

Katy, I'm glad I could do that for you.

T.J. Carson said...

I watched Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier when I was young. It was one of my favorite movies and got me started in my obsession with action/adventure flicks...I suppose you could say it was the start of a mold of who I am today and definitely influenced my novel. You know but then I moved up to james bond :) ha. But I never saw the River Pirates one but I am going to go buy it now! I never knew they made a second movie, if I had known sooner I would have watched it!!!!! Davy is BA, I won't lie I def had a little girl crush on him!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

I used to LOVE this show and the song that went with it. In fact, it was one of my favorite songs to play on the piano - we had a huge Disney Song Book and I'd practice this one over and over. :)