Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Favorite Fictional Character --- Space Ghost


I was a cartoon addict as a kid, and one of my favorite channels was USA.  Does anyone else remember Cartoon Express?  If I'm remembering right, they had a weekday version, and a weekend version.  I watched it every change I got, and it's the reason I'm so in love with cartoons that really were before my time.  Give me The Herculoids over Ren & Stimpy, any day.  I still have a lot of fond memories over the days I spent on my grandmother's living room floor, switching the dial to USA, and getting lost in cartoon worlds.


On of the shows I loved featured Space Ghost and his teenage sidekicks, Jan & Jace.  And you can't forget that damn monkey, Blip.  I'm so not a fan of inhuman sidekicks, and Blip is a large part of the reason why.  He was so frickin annoying.  I could handle Jan & Jace, especially since they seemed to keep the stoic Space Ghost from becoming to full himself.

And he was a little full of himself.  I'm not talking about that horrible talk show parody they stuck him in, I couldn't handle it.  I can never watch one of my favorite childhood characters, turned into a joke.  I much prefered him when he was racing across space, protecting planets form destruction, and beating his regular cast of bad guys.

I even liked his bad guys.  They were different, and while they seem kind of hokey to me now, they were really cool when I was a kid.  Moltar, Zorak, Black Widow, Metallus, and Brak, how I love you guys.  I used to pretend I was along for the ride, when Space Ghost would kick your asses.  The adventures were something I could get lost in, and let me imagine a world where right always wins, and the bad guys always lose.  That false sense of rightness is why I love cartoons, and why I love superheroes so much.  Even if the good guys suffer a defeat, you always know that they will some how land on top.

4 comments:

The Reading Frenzy said...

OMG I LOVE Space Ghost. :)
Thanks Ryan for the smile

Angela's Anxious Life said...

I love Space Ghost sooo much! Well... I really only know him from the show Space Ghost Coast to Coast. MAN that was a super funny show!!!

Yvette said...

I do remember SPACE GHOST - sort of. I suppose I must have watched. Same people who did Jonny Quest I think. It's all a mind jumble at the moment. Ha.

Lisa said...

I had no idea Space Ghost was ever a real cartoon. My boys loved Space Ghost Coast To Coast though, so I definitely know that!