Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Favorite Fictional Character --- Chilly Willy


So sue me, I'm a cartoon addict.  I always have been, always will be,and I'm not ashamed of it.  But just because I'm an addict, doesn't mean I don't have standards.  The crap that passes as cartoons on TV these days sucks.  It's not worth my time, hell they haven't been worth my time since the mid 1990s.  Most of them are animated by computers, with the brains of 2 a two year old.  They are horrible, why can't they be like they were in the 1980s, or better yet, the cartoons I grew up with that were even older than that.  That's what the next few weeks will be dedicated to, the cartoons I loved as a kid, but were really the ones my mom grew up with.


To get the party started, we start off with Chilly Willy, the only penguin to make his home in Alaska.  I'm really not sure how he got that far away from home, or what possessed him to move there, but I'm glad he took the risk.  He wouldn't be as much fun had he stayed home, surrounded by a bazillion other little penguins.  What I really never understood is why he chose Alaska.  The poor guy is always cold, and is always trying to stay warm.  Why didn't he move to the Cayman Islands or San Diego?  It would have been warmer there, and he probably would have had an easier time finding the pancakes he loved so much.

But no matter where Chilly Willy chose to live, he was frickin adorable and could never do any wrong in my book.  I wanted to hang out with him as a kid, he just seemed like he would be cool to chill out with, puns intended.  I would've even put up with Smedley, it if meant hanging with Chilly.  Since the cartoon gods never answered that particular wish, I guess I'll have to satisfy myself with watching him on Youtube.


5 comments:

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

I'm not sure I remember Chilly Willy. He vaguely looks familiar, but I don't remember. That's sad!

Angela's Anxious Life said...

I am totally joining in this feature again!! I am going to try to have up a post this week or next. Thanks for hosting. PS I had no idea who Chilly Willy was before now.

Lisa said...

Argh - not sure why this posted three times!

My hubby's also a big fan of Chilly Willy but I don't remember him at all. I was that freak kid that slept in on Saturday!

Rich Mom, Rich Dad. Poor Mom, Poor Dad. said...

My friend's nickname of Chilly Willy and she even had Chilly Willy tattooed on her. I was a cartoon junkie and loved my Saturday morning toons but I have never seen Chilly Willy!

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

I loved Chilly Willy too. I used to sing the theme song all the time. :)

I agree that some of today's cartoons are crap, but I sure do love some of the offerings on Cartoon Network, like Adventure Time, Regular Show and The Amazing World of Gumball. So oddly twisted and ironic...and silly at times. Harkens me back to the 2000s and one of my favorite shows of all time, The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. :)