Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Favorite Fictional Character --- Witch Hazel


When I drew up plans for themes and what characters I wanted to use for the year, today's character was going to be featured in October as part of the Halloween characters.  The entire month was going to feature nothing but my favorite witches.  Since then though, I've decided to be a little more fluid in October and not pigeonhole the characters I want to use.  Since I'm featuring my favorite Looney Toons characters this month, I'm not sure how I could let Witch Hazel wait another 7 months to have her time in the sun.


Witch Hazel is another one of those characters that never got used as often as she should have been.  She was the antagonist in three different Bugs Bunny cartoons, and then only appeared in a few other cartoons throughout the years.  It's a shame really since Witch Hazel has to be one of the funniest characters in the entire pantheon of Looney Toons characters.

When we first meet her, she is a witch who enjoys eating children.  Not very funny or nice, but the trouble she gets into with Bugs Bunny is both those things.  Bugs rescues the children and once Witch Hazel discovers the hero is in face a rabbit, her taste in food changes.  She does everything she can to get Bugs into her cook pot instead of the youngsters.  What follows is a wonderful romp full of mishaps, broom crashes, and hilarity the likes of which doesn't happen often enough.

In each of her further encounters with Bus, Witch Hazel just can't get the upper hand on the rascally rabbit.  Thankfully she is able to keep a wonderful sense of humor and more often than not, laughs at her own foibles.  She is the classic witch in looks and in behavior but that doesn't stop her from transcending those themes and becoming one of my favorite Looney Toons characters of all time.


5 comments:

Teddyree said...

OMG how could I forget Witch Hazel, havent heard her mentioned in many, many years. She wasn't on often enough to be a 'regular' but I recall her being a 'hoot' to watch :)

bermudaonion said...

I never knew her name is Witch Hazel! She's a great character!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Oh my Goodness! You are awesome at this! I completely forgot about Witch Hazel! LOL! Thank youfor the reminder. :)

Staci said...

That one is a classic where she tries to eat the little kids...love it so much!! They need to bring back these great cartoons and do away with like...MTV!!!

Alexia561 said...

I never knew her name, but remember that she was hilarious!