Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Favorite Fictional Character --- Pepe Le Pew


I'm must admit to feeling a little sad at this point in time.  The month is about over as in my trip down memory lane with some of my favorite Looney Toons characters.  I almost broke down and featured Bugs Bunny this week, but there are so many characters in the pantheon that I stuck to my guns and went with another character that doesn't get as much respect as Bugs, Daffy, and Porky.  I considered Speedy Gonzales, Elmer Fudd, Yosemite Sam, Marvin the Martian, Sylvester &Tweety, and even The Tasmanian Devil (a character that always seemed to get on my nerves.)  Instead of those deserving characters, some more than others, I decided to go with one of my favorite skunks.  I'm in love with those adorable little faces, and I do have more than one favorite skunk character.  So with no further ado let me present Pepe Le Pew, the skunk with nothing but love on the brain.


The first thing that comes to mind when you think of the French skunk named Pepe Le Pew, is his quest to find love in all the wrong places.  He has fallen in "love" with with a female black cat, a male cat, a female dog, a wild cat, and even Sylvester.  Now in poor Pepe's defense, they all disguised themselves as a skunk in order to trick somebody else.  It should also be pointed out that in most of those cases, once the truth comes out, Pepe doesn't care.  He's still in "love" and isn't going to take no for an answer.  He's an equal opportunity lover, though a bit on the needy side.

Now most of his affections are for Penelope Pussycat, the poor black cat who always manages to have a white stripe painted down her back.  I could never figure out how the poor creature could always find mishaps around white paint.  If I were her, I would have avoided the color white at all costs.  For the most part Penelope wanted nothing to do with Pepe.  She would run and run while he chased after her like a miniature stalker.  It wasn't until later that Penelope and Pepe showed their true colors.

After a bit of time, once Penelope started to return his feelings and became a bit more aggressive, Pepe started to flounder a bit.  He may want love, but he wants to be on the doing the pursuing.  He doesn't like being chased nor does he actually want the love given back.  Once Penelope starts to return the feelings, Pepe wants nothing to do with it.  It's an interesting dynamic to see the roles reversed.

Either way, pursuer or pursued, Pepe is one of those characters that will never go away.  He is a part of pop culture and he deserves to have the spotlight on him no matter what he does.


9 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I love Pepe le Pew and always hoped he'd find love!

Blodeuedd said...

Oh Pepe, you weirdo you, I do like him :)

Staci said...

I adore Pepe!! I did a trading card (scrapbooking thing) and he was my little guy on all of them! His cartoons always made me laugh and you just can't ignore that romantic skunk!!

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

I have a framed pic of pepe by my desk. Seriously, I do! I got a card that was signed by Chuck Jones a few years before his death. I thought it was so sweet of him to send it to me. So, he is now my fave Loony Tunes character!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Pepe le Pew! Oh I loved this character. He was the first character I remember to being a little on the sexy side, well stronger on the sexy side. lol. I always loved him. :D

Anonymous said...

Poor Pepe, with his unrequited, relentless pursuit of love!

Alexia561 said...

Great choice, as I loved Pepe!

Angela's Anxious Life said...

I love love love him!!

Angie

Angela's Anxious Life

Yvette said...

I ADORE Pepe le suave. :)