Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Cecelia's Favorite Fictional Character --- Suzy Turquoise Blue


Cecelia of Adventures of Cecelia Bedelia has a great taste in books.  She is one of those bloggers that always seems to be reviewing a book that I have never heard of before.  After reading her reviews though, I tend to find myself really, really wanting to read them.  I don't think I have picked up a book she recommended without liking it.  That and I can never get enough of her baking posts.  I'm not much of a baker myself, so seeing her handiwork makes my salivary glands go into overdrive.  It doesn't help that I would never be able to replicate her accomplishments.  If you don't believe me, go over and see for yourself.  I can guarantee that after saying hi, you will stay for a while reading all about the great books and food.


If Suzy Turquoise Blue’s name is familiar to you, we just became instant friends.  No, you don’t have any say in the matter (aren’t I charmingly forceful?  ha!)  Any fan of author Garth Nix is automatically a friend of mine.  And if Suzy Turquoise Blue sounds like the grownup child of hippies somewhere in New Mexico (and you really have no idea who she is) – then goodness, you’ve got a whole wonderful world to discover, and I envy you the fun you’ll have!

Suzy Turquoise Blue is an ink-filler, sixth class, when the reader meets her in Garth Nix’s middle grade fantasy Mister Monday, the first of seven Keys to the Kingdom books. And her first words are “Hey! Idiot! Up here!”  Anyone with that tone is liable to make me laugh uproariously, and Suzy DOES.  She can’t help it – she’s irrepressible and direct and curious and altogether too much fun.

Suzy helps the hero of the Keys books, Arthur, to get out of a scrape, and that’s just the first of many adventures that she and Arthur land in.  Suzy leaps over rooftops, flies with a pair of wings, jimmies anything locked, closed, or generally meant to be NOT open, open.  She’s also loyal to the point of death, a wonderful friend, and the first person to pick to guard your back.

I was reading along innocently, quietly enjoying Mister Monday, and then BOOM!  I was hijacked by the force that is Suzy.  She is the reason I loved these books – truly.  I don’t know that I’ve ever met a character with such verve.  Or if I have, it’s very likely that I forgot them because they didn’t have something that every great character needs – an unforgettable name.  And you have to admit, Suzy Turquoise Blue as a name is a mouthful, descriptive, AND straight-up awesome. 

Oh, and I should mention something else – Suzy speaks in vernacular when she’s not paying attention.  As far as I can tell, it’s Cockney/Aussie/something-or-other, but I could be wrong.  It’s not hard to figure out, but it makes her bits of dialogue utterly delightful when read aloud.

And now that I’ve completely fangirled about Ms. Blue, might I interest you in Garth Nix’s Keys to the Kingdom series?  That’s where you’ll find out more about Suzy and all of her (and Arthur’s) adventures in this and other assorted worlds.  Thanks for having me, Ryan!

10 comments:

bermudaonion said...

It looks like Cecelia reviews books I've never heard of too. Garth Nix sounds familiar, but I don't think I've ever read his work. Cecelia's made me curious about it, though.

Cecelia said...

Thank you for your kind words, Ryan! It was very fun to participate!

Memory said...

Cecelia's enthusiasm makes me want to read the rest of this series, even though MISTER MONDAY wasn't really my thing (though I did like Suzy awfully much!).

Ryan said...

I've never read this series, though you have now convinced me that I'm missing out on something. Thanks for sharing and agreeing to do this. I appreciate it more than you will ever know.

Anonymous said...

I loved Garth Nix's Sabriel series but Suzy sounds like a hoot and a friend I'd like to have.

Anonymous said...

I've never read anything by Garth Nix, but you do make Suzy sound awesome.

Tales of Whimsy said...

She sounds amazing. I can't believe I haven't tried his work.

PS I have to admit that is my favorite part about Cecelia too. She finds the coolest books.

Alyce said...

I haven't heard of the series before, but the author does sound familiar. With that much of an endorsement I'm going to have to look these books up.

LoriStrongin said...

Fun guest post! I love reading how tight the book blogger community is! You guys all rock and do such awesome things for us readers and writers. So THANK YOU ALL for being awesome!


(And duh, who *isn't* a Nix fan???)


Smiles!
Lori

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Oh, I remember reading the review of this book on Cecelia's blog. It sounds like an amazing read and one great character. :) Thanks!!