Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Favorite Fictional Character --- Zorro


Now I'm not going to talk about any other version of Zorro other than the Walt Disney version which aired from 1957-1959. 

In this version Guy Williams played Don Diego de la Vega, a university student recalled from Spain back to Los Angeles by his father, who wanted his help in fighting the villainous Captain Enrique Sanchez Monastario.  For reasons of his own, and unknown to his disappointed father, Diego felt that the only way he could effectively do that was by posing as a timid intellectual who doesn't have a backbone to speak of at all.

At night though he would dress up as Zorro, the masked righter of wrongs who will stop at nothing to protect those who need it the most.  As Zorro he is fearless and oh so witty.  What always amazed me, as a kid, was the brilliant use of the sword.  He had such control and dexterity with it, that as a kid I wanted to take fencing lessons, but was never able to.  Every time I pass by the fencing academy in town, I remember watching every episode of this show and it brings me back.

Zorro stands in that class of characters, along with Tarzan, The Lone Ranger, and Davy Crockett, who were the TV heroes of my childhood.  They were men who fought for what they believed in and never let the bad guys win.  They were who I looked up to as a kid and who I wanted to be when I grew up.  I owe them all a thanks for helping me, even if in a minute way, become the man I am today.

10 comments:

A Buckeye Girl Reads said...

Zorro was so cool-I'm trying to think of fictional characters I used to love, and am drawing a blank for some reason...

Anonymous said...

What about Antonio Banderas? Loved his portrayal!

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

My favorite Zorros...Zorro, the gay blade starring George Hamilton (don't hate!) and, of course, Antonio Banderas! Also, I still have yet to read Zorro by Isabel Allende (which I own). I heard it's a good one. Great pick this week!

Looks like next week will be when I resume FFC and I promise I'm going to pick a good one!

Simcha said...

I've never seen this Zorro, though I do believe I've seen the Antonio Benderas one. Perhaps I'll watch an episode this weekend, and you can watch West Side Story ;) (seriously though, you must. If you lived anywhere near me I would come over with my copy and forcibly make you watch it, as some of my friends can attest to)

Anonymous said...

I have to admit to having a slight crush on Zorro.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Zorro is a great character and this one is a great pick. :) Sorry, this week has been crazy. We had school picnic day yestaurday and today I was off of work so things have been all out of schedule. :) I hope to be back on track next week.

Alexia561 said...

Excellent pick! Zorro was sooooo cool! :)

Beth said...

Awesome choice! Zorro was always so sleek and sexy. Antonio Banderas as Zorro - extra hot! :)

Sa Toya said...

Hiya found your blog via Beth's Book Review Blog. I like it so I figured I'd stick around.

I totally lurve that Zorro too...before my time but I remember staying up really late to watch it on the Disney channel. It was on at like 3 in the morning!

Heidenkind said...

Zorro was always fun to watch. I grew up with the Disney Channel version, so that's the one I'm most fond of. :)