Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Favorite Fictional Character --- Lady Georgiana Rannoch


A lot of you already know that I am a mystery addict.  That one genre makes up more than half of my yearly reading, a few years, quite a bit more.  The vast majority of that tends to be vintage mysteries, especially those written during the Golden Age, during the first part of the 20th century. With a few exceptions, I'm not a huge fan of police procedurals or thrillers, and I really can give most cozies a pass.  And the vast majority of the modern mysteries I read, tend to be set in that Golden Age.  So needless to say, it's amazing that I fell in love with a character who has so far starred in 7 cozy mysteries, with the 8th coming in August.


Lady Victoria Georgiana Charlotte Eugenie Rannoch, or Georgie for short, and since we are besties, that's what I will call her for the rest of this post, is the one mystery detective that I just want to hang out with.  I'm not sure we would ever have a serious conversation, or debate some far-flung conflict, but she would make the perfect shopping companion.  I can also see us having a great time over dinner, hanging out with some friends at a wine bar, or heading off to the movies for a day to catch our current Hollywood crush on the silver screen.  I'm not saying we couldn't have those serious conversations or intense debates because she is smart enough for it, I'm just thinking that hanging out with her would be too much fun, and that stuff would never enter my mind when I was paling around with her.

The poor girl is 34th in line to the throne, and because of that, she really isn't allowed to work, and lord knows, she needs the money.  Just because you are born into the royal family, doesn't mean you have the money to spend.  Who cares that you have an image to present to the rest of the world, or that you are expected to behave in a certain way.  All the rules kind of suck when you don't have the means to pay for them.  She has tried to be a maid for hire, a shop clerk, a fashion model, and a personal secretary, none of them worked out, and murder seems to be constantly getting in the way. 

Now in her defense, it's not as if she goes looking for trouble.  For the most part she is simply on the scene, normally at the behest of the Queen, when bad things happen.  Of course, she can't help but get involved, though the solution normally comes to her by a little hard work, and a whole lot of good luck. She doesn't really have an inherent ability to solve dastardly murders, it's more of having a great sense of timing.  Of course, having the dashing Darcy O'Mara around, to step in and help a girl out, doesn't hurt her track record either.  Now they just need to get married, and finalize their relationship.

2 comments:

Katherine P said...

I love Georgie! I'm a few books behind but I'm looking forward to catching up. I think she'd definitely be a great shopping partner. Though I do wish things would settle down with her and Darcy!

Angela's Anxious Life said...

I love these books!! So fun to read about her. Maybe someday a TV show or movie will be made about these books.