Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Favorite Fictional Character --- He-Man


What is it about cartoons that seems to capture your entire childhood?  It's impossible for me to think of being a kid, without thinking of all the cartoons that I used to love.  I'm highlighted a ton of them over the years, and for some odd reason, I've never managed to do He-Man.  How that happened, I have no frickin clue.  I mean, He-Man, was the man.  Whether he was Adam in all his clothes, or the muscle bound sex god in a fur loincloth, He-Man was all prime beef.


Okay, so maybe one of my first crushes was on a cartoon character, don't judge me.  My other first celebrity crush was on Rick Astley, that I can be judged for.  What cracks me up about the whole thing, he's so not the type I find attractive as an adult.  I rarely find a blond attractive, and while an overly hard muscle body may be nice to look at, I'm not overly fond of cuddling with it.  

But I'm digressing here, I'm supposed to being telling you what a great character He-Man was.  For those of you not in the know, He-Man was the super powered version of the mild mannered Prince Adam of Eternia.  The son of the Eternian King, and his human queen, Prince Adam is a rather boyish young man, not know for his bravery.  Because of the evil plaguing his home, by the devious Skeletor, Prince Adam is able to transform himself into a golden warrior, easily the strongest man in the universe.  Given to him by the Sorceress of Greyskull, Prince Adam uses the Sword of Power to facilitate his transformation.

He is surrounded by a whole planet full of heroes, all of whom help him to thwart Skeletor's evil schemes.  Only a few of them know that the two very different men, are in fact the same.  Though I never could understand why nobody ever figured out that they were never seen together.  At least he is aided by Battle Cat, the steroid version of Cringer, his faithful companion.  I could have done without Orko though, he still gives me shivers.

I loved this show so much, I even own the He-Man and She-Ra Christmas special on DVD.


6 comments:

The Reading Frenzy said...

Who could possibly judge you on crushing on a total man candy like He-Man
Me too!

Angela's Anxious Life said...

I am obsessed with He-Man and She-Ra. I love them!! I actually just learned that DC is now doing a He-Man comic book series and read vol. 1. The review will be up sometime.. I did review it on goodreads already. I have vol. 2 on hold at the library now. So fun!!

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Ryan, I remember reading He-Man and the Masters of the Universe comics more than watching the cartoons. I'm going to revisit both comic and cartoon if I can.

neer said...

By the powers of the universe...

Oh! This was such a favourite show and every Sunday we'd wait eagerly for it.

Unknown said...

Oh lord, I was a total mark for this show and its merch back when I was a little kid.

I can't remember how I first discovered it. Maybe ads for the toys on Saturday mornings, but when I found out it was airing at noon weekdays on one of the 3 channgels our rabbit ears picked up, I was always trying to fake colds so I could stay home and watch it. Only worked twice. :)

carol said...

My brother had all the He-Man action figures, even the castle.