Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Staci's Favorite Fictional Character --- Charles "Pa" Ingalls


What can I say about Staci of Life In The Thumb.... Well I can start with the fact that she is obsessed with Mr. Darcy, though I still can't quite figure out why.  The vlog she did, calling me out on the subject, gave me a little inkling but it wasn't enough.  Maybe I need a little more, I dont' know, but I have to respect anyone who likes a character as much as she does him.  I can also say she is a fabulous blogger, writer, and all around class act.  She has made me feel welcome from day one, and I can never tell her how much I have appreciated it.  She has been encouraging, even when she didn't realize.  She is a truly special person and I'm glad I've gotten to know her, even if just a little bit.  She has also added to my wish list on more than one (WAY more occasions, so hers is a blog I go back to on an almost daily basis.  If any of you don't know her please stop on by and say hi.  I'm sure you will be made to feel at home.


When Ryan asked me to write up a post for his Favorite Fictional Character Wednesdays I immediately thought of Mr. Darcy! One, because Ryan just can't get enough of my love for Darcy and two, because I seriously do love Darcy. But then I really sat down and thought about a fictional character that made an impact on my life and came up with Pa Ingalls from Little House on the Prairie

When I was in first grade, Mrs. Wilson read Little House in the Big Woods to our class. It was then and there that I fell in love with Pa and Little House on the Prairie. I loved that Pa would get out his fiddle and play music to entertain the family at night. I was also drawn into how safe he made his family feel. 

Then when Little House on the Prairie came to television my little heart swelled to ten times it size! Here was Pa, bigger than life, and with such an infectious laugh. I adored Michael Landon as Pa and felt that he belonged to me. Every week my family gathered together to see what would happen next in the Ingall's little house. Without fail, Pa always treated his children with love, patience and tenderness. I felt safe and secure when I was lost in their world. It was nice to see that my Pa was so much like Laura's Pa. Boy, did I feel special. 

I remember when Michael Landon passed away ...I felt as if a piece of my childhood had died and I wept. I honestly don't believe any fictional character has had such an impact on my childhood as Pa Ingalls. 

Note: I do understand that Mr. Ingalls was a real person, but there is a part of fiction wrapped up in those books and TV shows!!

11 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

There is nothing that says childhood to me like this series :D Of we saw it years afterwards here, but that did not matter at all

Helen's Book Blog said...

You hit the nail on the head with this one. I loved the books and was so excited when the TV show came on. At first I was disappointed that Pa didn't look right (what happened to his beard?), but Michael Landon definitely won me over. Like you, we watched every week (boy were some of those tear-jerkers!) and I felt a real loss when Michael Landon died as well.

bermudaonion said...

I love Staci too but somehow missed the vlog she made! I loved the Little House books too, but never got into the TV show. Great pick, Staci!

Simcha said...

There seem to be a lot of Mr. Darcy fans in the blogosphere though I can't say that I'm one of them since I'm not big on Jane Austen.
Though I agree that Pa Ingalls is a great character. I used to love The Little House on the Prairie books, and now that you've remined me about them I think it's time to dig them out and share them with my kids.

Anonymous said...

This post invokes fond memories of childhood too. How lucky you are that your father is so like Pa Ingalls - must be a great man!

Ryan said...

I loved this show growing up, but don't think I ever read a book. Thanks for the memories.

KarenSi said...

Pa Ingalls is one of my childhood favourites too. I read all those books when I was sick one week. Definitely stopped me from feeling sorry for myself.

Jill Buck said...

I remember watching this show after school. I borrowed the first season from the library thinking my kids would be into it too as they had read one of the books at school and were excited about it, but they lost interest the day we tried it out. Maybe when they get a little older.

JaneGS said...

Although I never watched the LH series on TV (Michael Landon will always be Little Joe in my mind), I share your love of Pa Ingalls from the books. I think hands-down he is the best fictional fathers around--the balance of adventure and security, love of the land, and willingness to shoulder hard work and responsibility made him ideal.

Teddyree said...

Couldn't agree more about Staci, she's an absolute darling and her vlog calling you out cracked me up Ryan.

The tv show of Little House on the Prairie was a childhood favourite of mine too :)

Staci said...

Rayn- You are too sweet to me! Thanks for such a generous introduction and I honestly love visiting your blog and getting your interpretation on books that we've shared reading and all of those old mysteries you've been introducing all of us to. Thanks for asking me to contribute to your Favorite Fictional Character post..it was fun!!!