Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Simcha's Favorite Fictional Character --- Tom Sawyer


I'm going to sound like a schmuck now, but today's Favorite Fictional Character is not one I've ever met for myself.  I know who he is of course, who doesn't, but I've never taken the time to read about him.  I'm sad to say that it's taken Simcha of SFF Chat to remind me of that oversight.  Simcha, who I think is an absolutely fabulous, is based in Israel.  Her blog is one that I visit on a daily basis and I can always count on her to let me know about the new fantasy/scifi releases and reviews.  So go on over and tell her hi, stay for a while, and I know you will never leave.


I first encountered Tom Sawyer when I was thirteen years old and I was immediately captivated by this mischievous boy with the wild imagination.  I was in awe of his clever tricks and easy ability to beguile others (the fence whitewashing trick was classic!)  and I loved to imagine myself by his side, participating in each of his adventures.

After finishing Mark Twain's The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, I got a hold of several other books featuring Tom and I read through them all again and again.  he became the best-friend that I always wanted and all my real-life friends pale in comparison.  I longed to transport myself into his stories so that we could run around together barefoot, getting into trouble by concocting new adventures.  though now and than I think about it, I probably had more in common with Tom Sawyer than I realized at the time (a particular recollection just floated into my head of the time I convinced my friend to put all her belongings into a shopping cart and sell them to passersby along a busy Boston street.)  Together we would have been a real terror.

It's been a while since I last visited Tom Sawyer, but he still remains one of my favorite book characters.  Thinking about him now reminds me of my own childhood and of the delight of being young, carefree and rich in imagination.

11 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

Eveyone is picking such great characters :) I would be so lame and pick Rand al Thor or something ;)

bermudaonion said...

Tom Sawyer is a great pick and I can't believe you haven't read him. You probably know the story already, though.

Anonymous said...

Definitely one I need to share with my daughter.Thanks for the reminder.

Alexia561 said...

Ryan, you really need to read this one! I liked Huck Finn a little more than Tom, but they were both classic reads. Mark Twain was an amazing writer!

Simcha said...

I can't believe you never read Tom Sawyer! (though I wouldn't go so far as to call you a schmuck ;) ) It's one of the few classics that I actually read for pure entertainment. Though I probably enjoyed it a lot more when I was younger, and could relate to Tom, than I would now. Perhaps you can read it with your son in a couple of years.
Thanks for inviting me to participate! It was a lot of fun. Perhaps I'll start doing this meme again on my blog.

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

I have to say that I've not read it, but watched the movie adaptations of the book. I fail! However, I can see why you picked Tom.

Anonymous said...

This post says so much about you, Simcha! I can just picture you on a Boston street hawking your friend's possessions - you must have been filled with mischief when you were a kid! I must say your pick very much surprised me.

Ryan said...

I think I need to buy this book before the month is over. I just can't believe I've never read it. Great choice Simcha!

Simcha said...

Stephanie: I have to admit that I spent a lot of my childhood getting into mischief. Thank goodness my kids are are not like me, in that respect ;)

Ryan: You really should. Though now I'm nervous that you won't enjoy it as much as I did.

JaneGS said...

Tom Sawyer was one of my childhood friends as well. I read his Adventures 3-4 times as a kid, but never ventured down river with his pal Huck until just a few years ago.

Tom is the definition or idealized version of the American boy, and you gave him a great tribute!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Ryan, you are not alone. :) I've never read about Tom either. I know it's a shame right. But I had thought I would have to read in school, and never did. But sounds like a great read. :) Thanks Simcha!