Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Favorite Fictional Character --- Corduroy Bear


I think so far this month is shaping up to be my favorite theme so far.  I'm able to visit some old characters that I haven't seen in a while, and I'm remembering how much I really did love them.    One of my childhood favorites will be the star of this week's post.


I can't tell you how many times I've read the story of a a young stuffed bear who is missing a button on his green corduroy overalls.  Corduroy spent his time in a very large department store, sitting on a shelf just waiting for a little girl or boy to take him home.  He wanted to play, love, and be loved in return.  Nobody ever seems to want him though, no matter how adorable he was.  It could have been that missing button though, at least that's what Corduroy decided.  

When Lisa first saw Corduroy forlornly sitting on that shelf, she wanted to take him home immediately.  Her mother wanted none of it.  She had already spent too much money and the toy was missing a button, who wants a bear missing a button?  Naturally, this broke Corduroy's heart, so when the store closed, he started his journey.  He went all over the place looking for that darn button, he finally found it on a mattress.  He had to pull and pull even harder, but he finally got it.  Thankfully, he got it before the security guard found him and took him back to his shelf.  When Lisa came back the next day, with her own money, she took him home and sewed that button on.

I think what I loved about Corduroy was home much he wanted to be home.  It's that one thing that drives, I think, all of us.  We want a place, no matter how big or small, to feel like we belong there.  That we are safe and loved there.  Home is that one constant that we all strive for and need to feel good.  Corduroy epitomizes that desire for me in a way that most characters don't.  The face that he is so damned adorable doesn't hurt either.

6 comments:

bermudaonion said...

As many times as I've seen that book, I don't think I've ever read it. I never knew Corduroy found a button on a mattress.

Bev Hankins said...

I love Corduroy! This is one of the delightful children's books that I somehow missed when growing up but discovered when looking for books for my son. We spent lots of evenings reading about Corduroy (either this one or A Pocket for Corduroy). Good times!

Anonymous said...

Aww, Corduroy! I was never acquainted with him as a kid, not until I had one of my own. Such a sweetie.

Lisa said...

I loved this book when I read it to my boys years ago. One day I was shopping and found a stuffed bear that looked just like Corduroy. He wasn't marketed as being Corduroy which made him all the more irrestible--he just was Corduroy!

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

Such a sweet book and Corduroy is such a sweet character. Great pick this week!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Oh my! It's been so long since I've thought about Corduroy! I remember him from when I was younger, but I so remember reading him to my son too. :) Such fond memories there. :) Thank you!