Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Favorite Fictional Character --- Cordelia Chase


Yes, I'm eventually going to work my way through the entire Buffy/Angel universe for these FFC posts.  I shouldn't have to give you a reason for this but I will anyway.  It's simple really, except for Dawn, there isn't a character I don't love.  Since I've already done both Buffy Summers and Angel, I figured it was time to move onto the fabulous Queen C, Cordelia Chase.

For those of you who never had the pleasure of finding yourself lost in the Buffyverse, Cordelia started off as the rich bitch of Sunnydale.  If you wanted to be popular, you didn't dare cross her.  She was everything little girls dream of being in HS.  She was the girl in the school that could make or break you, and she really didn't care either way. 

No don't get me wrong, even back then, Cordelia showed promise.  She would be there when the gang needed her, she would never had admitted it back then, but she liked being part of the group  Being one of them, even though she would never admit to being one of them, allowed Cordy to more than a one dimensional character.  She was still selfish and bitchy, but when the chips were down she could be counted on to lend a hand or a car ride. 

Getting kidnapped by snake worshiping frat boys, being forced to participate in Slayer Fest, hunted down by invisible girl, and dating Xander were just some of the challenges Cordelia faced in HS and I must say she came through them all with her head held high and her caustic wit intact.  High School is where Cordelia fist started to mature and where we first saw signs of who she was to become later.

After high school, Cordy moved to LA and to a new show.  When Angel got his own show, Cordelia went along for the ride.  She starts off as the same shallow girl we had come to love, still looking for fame and fortune.  By the end of her run though she was selfless, loving, and probably the most caring character between both shows.  Of all the characters she changed the most and I loved watching her grow and learn to love her friends and Angel. 

Some of the growth could be attributed to the psychic powers she was given by The Powers That Be, as she was forced to watch suffering on a level she had never experienced before.  I think it had more to do with her finally realizing what her friends meant to her and by figuring out that she really did have something to offer to others and the world.  She came into her own as a woman and as a hero and because of that Cordelia was probably the most human of them all.

9 comments:

Simcha said...

You know, I don't think I have ever seen any episodes of Buffy. My father used to watch it so I got glimpses when I passed by the TV but never a whole episode. I'm thinking that I should really go back and give this show a try. I've actually been thinking the same thing about Xena as well.

Alexia561 said...

Have to disagree with you on this one Ryan. I never cared for Cordelia, either on Buffy or on Angel. Thought that Charisma wasn't a very good actress either.

Do agree with you about not liking Dawn, as Buffy was supposed to be an only child. The whole "key" plotline never worked for me.

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

I agree I agree!!! I loved to hate Cordy in the beginning and then by the end of Angel I just loved her, well, before that I loved her. I like everyone except Dawn as well! Good man you are! Dawn stinks.

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

I hated Cordy in the beginning, but she really grew on me over time. I really miss Buffy and Angel. These posts make me so nostalgic! Great post this week. I've really got to get back into this...time to put on my thinking cap!

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

Love the new header, btw!

Literary Feline said...

Cordelia was one of the characters that matured the most over the course of the two shows. I went from not liking her to loving her by the end. Oh, how I loved these shows!

Lydia said...

I loved Cordelia, actually - even more so than Buffy and she's what made Angel the show good for me.

Great choice!

J.T. Oldfield said...

I disliked how thing ended with Cordelia. I didn't like the romance between her and Angel, and really, didn't like the whole Jasmine plot line at all. Other than that, I did like how she matured and changed over the years.

Kendall Rivers said...

Cordelia was a great character of her type as Blanche Devereaux, Stephanie Vanderkelleb, Sandra Clark, Sue Ann Nivens and Whitley Gilbert. There's just something about those spoiled, selfish bratty characters that still make you laugh and love them. Takes skill by both the writers and the actors.