Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Favorite Fictional Character --- Samantha Stephens


As the star of the hit TV sitcom, Bewitched, which aired from 1964-1972, Samantha Stephens paved the way for all those other witches currently inhabiting paranormal fantasy.  She was one of the first witches in popular culture that overcame all the typical stereotypes that face witches in today's society.  She didn't have a warty nose or cast curses over a bubbling cauldron.  She was the typical homemaker who had a few advantages on the rest of us.

Samantha was a witch who fell in love with a mortal despite what her family thought of it, including her over bearing mother, Endora.  She wanted to raise a family and support her husband without having to give up a part of herself.  Her husband, Darren, wanted a normal family so he made her promise him to give it all up.  Well fortunately for us, that was a promise she couldn't keep, so we were treated to various spells and enchantments used to get her husband out of those pesky situations he always found himself in.  She was the mother every child would want and the wife any husband could be proud of.

All of us who enjoy a well written paranormal book about the good witches and wizards coming up on top, owe a debt of thanks to Samantha for blazing the way.




9 comments:

brizmus said...

Thank you Samantha Stephens! I do love her!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, I loved that show! Elizabeth Montgomery did it so well, too.

When I watched this show—back in the day!—my TV was black and white only. Would have loved it in color.

Staci said...

One of my absolute favorite shows during my childhood...I was always walking around twitching my nose but nothing happened!!!!

Anonymous said...

Loved Bewitched! Actually we were just watching it the other day. I'm not sure if it was on TV or if my Mom has a DVD set.

Beth said...

Ooh! I loved Samantha! And all her crazy relatives! I Netflixed it a couple years ago and it was just as fun as it was the first time around.

Thanks for the lovely reminder!

Trev said...

Oh how I love this show....Endorra is my favorite witch EVER.

Simcha said...

Great choice this week! I used to love this show.

Alexia561 said...

Used to love this show! Samantha was great, and I loved all of the various relatives who would drop in and cause trouble! What was her cousin's name? Also played by Elizabeth, but in a black wig? Sabrina? Can't remember, but I always got a kick out of watching her play two different characters in the same scene. Great choice!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

:D This is a GREAT pick!!! I wanted to do my FFC last night and ran out of time. I remember when I was younger trying to wiggle my nose like Samantha. (If you don't tell anyone, I still try at times.) I love when they had their daughter and she uses her finger to wiggle here nose, it was so cute. Great Pick!!!