Monday, March 23, 2015

The Mystery Writers of America Cookbook edited by Kate White (Password Clue)


Synopsis From Back Cover:

Hard-boiled breakfasts, thrilling entrees, cozy desserts, and more - this illustrated cookbook features over 100 recipes from legendary mystery authors.  Whether your're planning a sinister dinner party or simply looking to whip up some comfort food, you'll find plenty to savor in this cunning collection.  Full-color photography is featured throughout, along with mischievous sidebars revealing the links between food and foul play. 


Let's think about this one for just a second.  How on earth would I be able to pass on this one.  The Mystery Writers of America Cookbook contains two of my favorite things in the world, mysteries and food.  It's a no-brainer, and I would have deserved to be victim number one, had I not jumped at the chance to get my hands on this one.

When I got it in the mail, and I'm not exaggerating this, I skipped all the way from the mailbox to my front door.  I was that damn excited.  Now it took me a few days to have the time to start trying out some of the recipes, but once I did, I have to admit to being a little impressed.  These aren't examples of complicated, high cuisine.  For the most part, the recipes are fairly simple, easy to follow, and it's the kind of food we all love to eat.

I'm not a huge breakfast eater, but I know it's the most important meal of the day, so I try to get by the best that I can.  I'm really not an egg fan, so the fact I was willing to make an omelet should shock everyone I know, but when I saw who contributed it to the book, I had to go for it.  I think you guys know that I'm a huge fan of Ben H. Winters The Last Policeman trilogy, and thank the lord, he included Detective Palace's Three-Egg Omelet.  If you are a fan of the series, you will recognize Hank's customary breakfast.  It was super easy to make, and while I'm still not a huge fan of eggs, I'm willing to love anything attached to Hank Palace.

After I had perused the entire book, I decided to try out Brad Meltzer's Italian Chicken.  Again it was a dish with only 7 ingredients, two of them salt and pepper, and it was so easy to make.  There were only 5 steps to it, the first was to preheat an oven and spray a baking dish.  I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was.  I think sometimes we forget that simple is good, and that sometimes it's the best way to go.

And not to name drop, but here are some of the other authors who have contributed recipes of their own: Louise Penny, Mary Higgins Clark, Rhys Bowen, Kathy Reichs, Charles Todd, Jacqueline Winspear, Gillian Flynn, Sue Grafton (the peanut butter and pickle sandwich her main character loves so much), James Patterson, and tons more.  This will be one of those cookbooks I go back to over, and over, and over again.

Challenges: Password (America)

11 comments:

Angelas Anxious Life said...

EEK!! I can't wait to get this in at the library. I hope I find something to cook in it. Eddie is so damn picky. So I am always looking for something new that he will eat.

Lisa Sheppard said...

Love recipes that are simple and delicious and there's nothing like a beloved character or author to convince me to try a new food!

Ryan said...

You guys should be able to find something in this one. Pretty much none of them are complicated, and a lot of them remind me of something my mother or grandmother would have made.

Ryan said...

You should have no problem finding a few of them that you'll love!

Debbie Haupt said...

Ryan I'm envious my copy never showed up LOL and I would have LOVED to make Hank's omelet

Ryan said...

I'm so sorry you didn't get yours, maybe they could sent out another one. It's worth it, promise!

Tasha B. (heidenkind) said...

So jels. You know I loves me some mystery and food combos.

Ti Reed said...

This book sounds like a lot of fun!! My thing with cookbooks is that some of them call for too many exotic ingredients. I often think simple is better and tastier.

Ryan said...

You would love this one. I would send you my copy, but I' keeping this one :-)

Ryan said...

Then this one is right up your alley. There are almost none of them that are too crazy in ingredients or time involved in preparing them. It's simple, good food.

Ryan said...

I think you did too!