Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Favorite Fictional Character ---- Bumblelion


I'm not sure if it's because, thanks to some wonderful bloggers, I took two months off of doing these posts myself, but the idea of thinking up new characters has been just a little daunting to me this week.  Not that I am at a loss for some great characters, but I'm a little at a loss of coming up with a theme for the month.  So, for this month, I think I'm just going to wing it and do whatever I want to.  October will be all about Halloween and December will be about Christmas.  Now I just need to think of a theme for Nov.  So with no further ado, I present one of my favorite cartoon characters of all time, Bumblelion.


I'm almost willing to bet that most of you will not remember the 80s cartoon, The Wuzzles.  It only lasted 13 episodes, so I'm not going to blame you for your forgetfulness.  Well, at least I won't judge you for it too harshly.  I won't look down on you for not playing the board game, reading the books, coloring in the lines, or hugging a stuffed animal.  I won't think you had a barren childhood for not knowing who Bumblelion is or what Butterbear means to him.  I won't feel bad for you if you don't understand the true pleasure this show was to watch.

Since I'm going with the assumption that you still don't know what the heck I'm talking about, I'll fill you in on some of the details.  The Wuzzles are a race of creature that feature the characteristics of two different animals.  Hence the name Bumblelion.  He is half bumblebee, half lion.  Take his sweetheart Butterbear, half butterfly and half bear.  They live on the island of Wuz and are surrounded by a life that is split in half, just as they are.  The eat appleberries, use telephongraphs, are bugged on picnics by flants, and some live in castlescrapers.  

Bumblelion is the unofficial leader of the group, especially when they are trying to negate the evil Crock.  Crock is half dinosaur, half crocodile and all mean and nasty.  He is so jealous of what the Wuzzles have, but never really wants to earn it on his own.  Bumblelion is courageous and cool under pressure, so he is the natural choice to press their issues against Crock.  He was the perfect character for any boy to love.  He was athletic, stood up to the bullies, and could fly.  What kid doesn't want to fly?  

9 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I don't know the Wuzzles - maybe I'm too old for them?

Audra said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Wuzzles -- I haven't met anyone else who remembered them -- I *had* a Wuzzle. I looooved them!! You so made my week with this -- gah!!

Angela's Anxious Life said...

yessh... I am one who is up and up on pop culture and I have no idea who this is!! Embarrassing!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Oh goodness! I couldn't place that character looking at the picture. But when I read the post I remembered all to well. I completely forgot about Wuzzles! :D Great pick.

Alexia561 said...

Oh dear, never heard of the wuzzles and now I feel deprived. ;)

Heidenkind said...

Uh, you're right, I don't remember the Wuzzles. :)

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I dont recall this cartoon and 80's... was my life LOL. I wanted to pop in and say "HEYYYYY!" since I feel like my blog visits have been so few lately with the craziness of life. :)

Simcha said...

I don't think I've ever seen this cartoon before but for some reason Bumblelion looks kind of familiar.

carol said...

I don't remember Bumblelion, but I do have a vague memory of the Wuzzle stuffed animals.