Friday, December 31, 2010

Top 10 Favorite Books of 2010

With this year ending and a new one beginning, I thought it best to post my favorite books of 2010.  Like last year's list, these will be books that I read for the first time this year, no rereads.  Some of these books were published this year but most were published prior to that.  It was harder to narrow it down this year.  I"m not sure if that's simply due to the fact that I read more this year or if it's just because I read more really good books over the last 12 months, despite the handful of really horrible reads sprinkled throughout.  I was actually toying with the idea of making this a Best/Worst of list but decided against that.  So with nor further ado, here are my favorite, in no particular order, books read in 2010.  If you click the title it will take you to my review of the book.


The Terror by Dan Simmons


In the Woods by Tana French


The Seven Dials Mystery by Agatha Christie


The Danish Girl by David Ebershoff


Solstice Wood by Patricia A. McKillip


The Murderer's Daughters by Randy Susan Meyers


Raven Stole the Moon by Garth Stein






Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow

13 comments:

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

Great list! I have The Terror and In the Woods. I really must get to them next year! And I forgot all about Raven Stole the Moon. Have to get my hands on that one. If only I would have won your giveaway. Alas.... LOL!

Kaye said...

Looks like you had a great year in reading. Glad to see The Terror on your list. TBG has that hanging around on the shelf. I better tell him to get it read. Happy New Year to you - may 2011 be filled with good books, good friends, good health and much happiness.

Trisha said...

The Lunatic, the Lover, and the Poet made my top ten this year as well. It was such a unique read. The Danish Girl made my top 15. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

I loved In the Woods - probably the best thriller I've read this year as well.

Carrie K. said...

Everyone's best of 2010 lists are reminding me of all the titles I wanted to read this year and didn't have time for! I want to do The Terror on audio in 2011. And In the Woods was excellent, as is the second book in the series, The Likeness. I'm planning to read Faithful Place, her 3rd, this year.

Happy New Year!

Staci said...

Great list Ryan...I read a few from your list and loved them and now I have some other ones to choose from that you enjoyed. The Danish Girl is one that I might read in 2011.

Happy New Year my friend!!

bookmagic said...

I loved In the Woods. I've read other stuff by Dan Simmons but not The Terror. You should try his 'A Winter Haunting'- so good!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Great list! The Murderer's Daughters really piqued my interest.

Happy New Year, Ryan!

To read my wrap-up post, click on my name....

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

You are adding to my wish list here! Happy New Year Ryan!

Amy said...

Very interesting list. I'm happy to see The Danish Girl there as it is on my tbr for next year :)

nomadreader said...

I got Into the Woods for Christmas and am looking forward to it! I read The Danish Girl years ago and adored it. Great list!

Ceri said...

Loved The Danish Girl too. :D Great choices here.

Anonymous said...

I love reading peoples "bests" lists. I'm hoping to read In the Woods soon.