Thursday, December 2, 2010

I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore (James Fry)


Synopsis:

Six children and their guardians escape from Earth as their home planet is being destroyed by a viscous race of alien invaders. Once on Earth they scatter into separate hiding places, hoping against hope, that their enemies won't find them.  However, one by one, they have been found and killed.  The first three are already gone, they are after number four now.  Now that number four is coming into his legacy, he may save himself and the others with his new found powers.

This is going to be my confession portion of this review.  I actually read this one months ago and it's been sitting on my shelf of books waiting to be reviewed.  I'm not sure why I've taken so long to get this done, but I'm going to chalk it up to my ambivalent feelings on it.

The book itself is entertaining, while I was actually reading it.  The plot line was well thought out and nothing that happened in the book felt out of character or unnecessary to the story telling. It was full of action from start to end and I really liked the characters.

There was nothing about it though that compelled me to pick it up and keep reading once I set it down.  It was more of an issue where once I started it, since I wasn't hating it, I had to finish it.  The problem for me was that nothing felt original.  I felt like I was reading a mash up up different SciFi works that I've seen before.  It has elements of Superman, The Thundercats (long with too many other cartoons to count), but what I was really reminded of the entire time I was reading the book was the TV show, The Powers of Matthew Star.
 
I will probably continue with the series, only because I want to make sure John (number four) comes out of this mess alive.  I just hope the next book is more original and less predictable.

9 comments:

Alexia561 said...

Sorry you didn't like this one as much as I did, but totally understand the feeling that you might as well finish a book since you didn't hate it. Been there! :)

Anonymous said...

The summary certainly sounded unique; too bad the actual story wasn't. I'm digging the pseudonym though. I was hoping it was an actual person's name.

Anonymous said...

I have this one on my TBR list. I'm a bit hesitant b/c of the sci-fi-ish element but the premise sounds interesting.

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

Hmm, I appreciate your honestly. I've read so many glowing reviews.

Staci said...

When I don't feel compelled to finish a book I know that my reading is doomed to be lousy for a day or two!! I felt that way about a review book just recently too!!

I hope it gets better so you can find out if John makes it out alive!!

Julie said...

This is the second review that I've read that talked about the familiar themes from other books. I guess it's hard to be totally original when so many ideas have already been put out there. Thanks for the review!

Simcha said...

I've had this book high on my TBR list because I've heard such good things about it. The only complaint I came across that it's a little too fast paced, without giving the reader a chance to rest. But your comments sound lot like the way I felt after reading The Maze Runner, another book that was highly praised, and I was somewhat disappointed with. Now I think I might hold off on this one.

Oregon Kimm said...

This is one of those books that's on my TBR, but I seem to pass it over every time I come across it at the bookstore. Still want to get to it someday though... lol

Anonymous said...

I really loved this book and can't wait to see the movie.

:o)

MsM