Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Favortie Fictional Character --- Brantley Foster


If you've never seen The Secret Of My Success, you are missing out on one of the funniest characters that ever came out of the 80s.  Played by the incredible Michael J. Fox, Brantley Foster is the typical small town farm boy who moves to the big city to make a life for himself.  Lucky for us he does it in a style all his own.

Brantley moves from Kansas to New York City for his first job out of college, unfortunately the company that hired him was taken over the same day he reported to work, so his job was over before it began.  After going through various job interviews where he was labeled too qualified, under qualified, too tall or not female enough, he caves in and goes to his Uncle (by marriage) to find a job.

Hi Uncle puts him in the mail room but it's not long after that Brantley starts impersonating an executive and courting the only female executive in the building.  Before he (or the viewer for that matter) knows it, he is running around like crazy trying to do two jobs at once without getting caught while trying to keep his love life on track.  One of my favorite scenes happens when everyone ends up at the country house and the characters start playing musical beds, it's hilarious and so well done that I can't help but be fascinated every time I watch the movie.

The comedic timing Michael J. Fox brings to the character is hilarious and even though you know Brantley is deceiving people, you can't help but love him.  He is trying to do the right thing for the company even though he has gotten himself in some deep water.  Brantley is the perfect everyday hero who makes it big through hard work and some incredible luck.  The fact he has a lot of fun along the way, makes it that much better.

6 comments:

Staci said...

I love Michael J. Fox....he was a major part of my youth in the 80s. Great pick for today!

bermudaonion said...

I am a Michael J. Fox fan but somehow missed out on that movie. I'll have to look for it.

Becca said...

I can't remember all of this movie but it sounds very familiar to me. I wonder if it is something I caught on TV one time but haven't seen all the way through or something.

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

I actually didn't care for Brantley, but I did enjoy the movie! :)

btw, have an award for you:
http://melissawatercolor.blogspot.com/2010/08/another-award.html

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Oh yeah, this was one of my favorite movies growing up. I really enjoyed this movie. This is a great pick! :)

Alexia561 said...

Never saw this movie, but loved Michael and was always impressed by how he made comedy look so easy!