Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Blue Moon Cafe by Rick R. Reed


Synopsis From Back Cover:

Someone--or something--is killing Seattle’s gay men.

A creature moves through the darkest night, lit only by the full moon, taking them, one by one, from the rain city’s gay gathering areas.

Someone--or something--is falling in love with Thad Matthews.

Against a backdrop of horror and fear, young Thad finds his first true love in the most unlikely of places—a new Italian restaurant called The Blue Moon Cafe. Sam is everything Thad has ever dreamed of in a man: compassionate, giving, handsome, and with brown eyes Thad feels he could sink into. And Sam can cook! But as the pair’s love begins to grow, so do the questions and uncertainties, the main one being, why do Sam’s unexplained disappearances always coincide with the full moon?
 
After the disaster that was The Secret Keeper, I was a little gun shy about reviewing anymore gay fiction that was written by an author I was unfamiliar with.  I would happily read if for my own enjoyment, but I wasn't sure I would wanted to agree to reviewing a book that I wasn't sure I would enjoy.  After a few days of thinking about it, I realized that I was being a little odd about it.  Why should I hold back on gay fiction when I wasn't having any doubts about other genres of fiction.  If I was willing to take a chance with a book that sounded good I shouldn't be holding gay fiction to a different standard.  I'm not even sure why I was thinking those thoughts to begin with, and I'm too tired to figure it out now.  Needless to say I agreed to review the book, and for the most part I'm glad I did.
 
Now some of you may remember a guest post I had written for Tasha at Truth, Beauty, Freedom, And Books about my take on male/male romance written by women.  While the book I'm reviewing this time around is written by a gay man, I must say that some of my qualms hold true even here.  I've never been a big fan of erotic fiction because for the most part the sex doesn't come across as believable, the storylines normally dont' for that matter either.  For the most part erotic fiction is sex fantasies put down on paper, at least that's what I normally get out of them.  So I'm always a little hesitant when reading a book that I know is going to have quite a few sex scenes, which as you can tell from the cover, this book does have.  Enough chatter from me, let's get to the book and it's review.
 
Despite all my reservations this was a quick paced romp of werewolves and sex told using a sexy couple who have an obvious attraction to each other.  What I loved about the relationship between Thad and Sam is that while it's definitely sexual, there is deep if rather quick connection between the two of them.  A connection that neither one can deny, even if they wish otherwise.  Theirs is a believable relationship that works despite the obvious mistrust that secrets can create between two people.
 
The only thing that bothered me was Thad's fickleness when things wouldn't go his way.  When he is faced with complications between him and Sam he turns to his friend Jared, who he may have feelings for.  This is explored at the end of the book, which while believable given the circumstances, leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth for Thad.  I still like him, just not sure I would ever want to date him.
 
Overall I enjoyed this one.  If you like hot sex between two guys with a dash of murder, mystery, and werewolf mayhem thrown in, I strongly recommend this book to you.
 
This will qualify for the GLBT Reading Challenge 2010 hosted by Amy of The Zen Leaf.

3 comments:

Staci said...

Can I just say that the cover needs some help..what did you think about the cover???? But the story sounds like a fun romp that has a lot of great elements in it...sex, murder, mystery, and werewolves!! Glad you decided to read it.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Staci. I read your review in my Google reader, which sounded great, and then I clicked on your post and was greeted with the book's cover. It could be better, but I suppose that's the convention for this genre?

Stephanie said...

Who could resist a quick paced romp with werewolves and sex?? :-) And I kinda like the cover.