Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Favorite Fictional Character --- The Green Hornet


What is it about the characters we fell in love with as children, were we can't let them go?  Why, even after decades, do they hold a place in our hearts and imaginations?  It seems that most of my FFC posts have been about characters that I either identified with, or looked up to as a child.  This week will be no different.

The Green Hornet first started as a radio program, then became a film series, and later a TV show in the 60s.  It is this version of the character that I was familiar with growing up.  It only aired for one season but has been on TV almost every year since in syndication and for one year as a kid, I ate up every episode I could watch.

The Green Hornet was the masked alter ego of Britt Reid, the grand nephew of John Reid aka The Lone Ranger.  As Britt Reid, he was a respected newspaper publisher who's good lucks got him attention from the ladies.  As The Green Hornet, he was a masked vigilante who fought crime along with his assistant Kato (who was played by Bruce Lee).

Looking back on it, I'm sure some of the appeal this show held for me was the striking good lucks of it's star, Van Williams.  However, the vast amount of pleasure I took from this show, and it's character, was the idea that a normal guy can take on the criminal element and come up on top.  He doesn't need to have super powers or millions of gadgets to get the job done.  He just needs a strong sense of justice and a clearly defined path to accomplish his objectives.  The action was always fun and never over the top and the acting was actually great compared to alto of the other shows in this genre.

I've read that they are making a movie with Seth Rogen playing Britt Reid, I'm not sure what I think of the idea yet, but I can't wait to see the results.  Hopefully it will stay true to the character and feel of the original show.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard of the Green Hornet, but never saw any of the shows. Actually, for some reason I'm connecting it with the Fat Albert cartoon.

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

I never saw the shows either, but will have to see the movie. Hopefully, it will keep with your expectations. :)

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

I wonder who is going to play the Green Hornet in the new movie?

I had a couple of guy friends in school who were big Bruce Lee fans so that's how I learned about him. Yes...I was friends with guys all through school. I even played Dungeons and Dragons with them...I was the only girl! And I'm still friends with all of them! =O)

Heidenkind said...

I expected the Green Hornet to wear more green...

He does have one of my favorite theme songs, though.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

:D Great pick! I have to say I never really watched this one very much though. Great characters though. :)

Sorry I didn't get to this again this week. I didn't even get to Balderdash this week either. I have been busy trying to get running done. Aahh, I think spring has sprung.

bermudaonion said...

You're not old enough to remember this show, but I am, and I remember watching it week after week.

Anonymous said...

Because the gang always had to go watch when The Green Hornet came on. Then I guess later they started a brown hornet as clips during the shows.